Sign in to follow this  
normsmith

Any alternatives to AA mechanical warranty?

My car's manufacturer's warranty has expired and I'm looking at getting some extended warranty. AA is charging 2k for 3 years plus a $140 inspection fee.

Any alternatives?

Thanks

2 I can think of off the top of my head ... Protecta and Autosure

Autosure is reinsured through Vero and is the one I have my car covered with

they have been very good with the claims I've had to put through

2 I can think of off the top of my head ... Protecta and Autosure

Autosure is reinsured through Vero and is the one I have my car covered with

they have been very good with the claims I've had to put through

AA is Autosure (Vero)

Most of the others you can only get now if you buy a car from a car dealer

Edited by *Glenn*

AA is charging 2k for 3 years plus a $140 inspection fee.

Any alternatives?

Thanks

That is blatant theft on the part of AA if that is correct, however what excess have you opted for? Most Euros have a minimum of $500.00 excess and if AA want $2k for 3 years then that would have to be zero excess.

Go to the franchise dealer you bought the car from and see if they can arrange a warranty for you.

AA is Autosure (Vero)

Most of the others you can only get now if you buy a car from a car dealer

Hi, I just rang Autosure and they said they don't deal with the public. Just through dealers. :-(

That is blatant theft on the part of AA if that is correct, however what excess have you opted for? Most Euros have a minimum of $500.00 excess and if AA want $2k for 3 years then that would have to be zero excess.

Go to the franchise dealer you bought the car from and see if they can arrange a warranty for you.

All the warranty companies have been changing their warranties and fees lately Brian

All the warranty companies have been changing their warranties and fees lately Brian

Yes Glenn, but they haven't more than doubled them.

Hi, I just rang Autosure and they said they don't deal with the public. Just through dealers. :-(

You can only get an Autosure (Vero) warranty through the AA Norm

Yes Glenn, but they haven't more than doubled them.

Have you tried them Brian ?... try and get a quote on yours

They have got tougher with exclusions and what is deemed to be maintanence as opposed to mechanical failure as well

Edited by *Glenn*

Access is $500, so yeah $2k for 3 years with $500 access. :-(

Ok, cool. Just spoke to Protecta and they offer a 3 year warranty with an access of $395 for $1200. Much more reasonable.

AA is Autosure (Vero)

thank you, wasn't aware of that, would probably explain why I have AA roadside assistance as part of the warranty :)

by the sounds of this thread and also the recent one about the mechanical warranty on the e46 m3, I think you'd almost be better off just putting the quoted premiums into a savings account

Edited by Wom

Did you call Protecta directly, Norm? I might be looking for one as well when my AA runs out in a few months.

Maybe Glenn can answer this, BMW gearboxes generally maintenance free from servicing point of view, if they break, would the insurance still look after them? What about SMG box on my 330? Does it count as manual or auto? (I wouldn't dream of explaining SMG to the insurance people)

Maybe Glenn can answer this, BMW gearboxes generally maintenance free from servicing point of view, if they break, would the insurance still look after them? What about SMG box on my 330? Does it count as manual or auto? (I wouldn't dream of explaining SMG to the insurance people)

If the gearbox is covered by the warranty, it doesnt matter what type of gearbox the car has. It's the insurance companies problem unless it is specificaly not covered. Don't explain.. if you get cover at a reasonable price (affordable)...go for it

And gearboxes are not maintanence free

my e36 auto box was fixed under warranty no questions asked

just told them the issue (jatco jerk), they said "yea we get this a lot, where do you want to take it to get fixed?"

ps. don't be afraid to talk technical with the insurance company, you'd be surprised at how much they know

it's better if you get to talk to someone in their claims department, they'd tend to know more about cars from dealing with a lot of different claims and mechanics all day every day

whereas if you're talking to someone in a call centre they'll just have basic knowledge