Sign in to follow this  
M3_guy

1990 E34 M5 from England

Hi friend of mine in GB came up with a listing on a auction which is a genuine e34 M5 done 105k miles Can this be registered in NZ as a classic now if it is a 1990 car?

What would it take for it to be road regal? it just seems like a bargain at 3000-3500pounds estimate...

Oooooops title reads E34 540is... which should really be M5... SOrry for the confusion guys... just too excited!

Sorted.

Edited by westy

I wouldn't of thought so it has to be at least 20 years old to the build date.

Got to VTNZ or vehicle compliance and ask them directly, may be a bit of a mission, is it left hand drive?, being from GB probably not.

Cheers, Sounds like its quite possible... Right hand drive of cause... What really excites me about the car is the wheels and interior colour, Black Recaros fully reconditioned and Style 5 BBS... Should have a chat to the VTNZ boys...

Like i said on the previous thread.... I wouldnt take the risk with the rust issues cars have in the UK. Have a look at the used car sites in Japan. I own a UK import e30 and there are rust holes in all sorts of awkward places.

Personally, I'd spend the money converting your 540i to 6 speed. It wont have an 'M' badge, or the pedigree that comes with it, but will surely be just as satisfying to drive.

Or

Buy an M5 in NZ, they come up every so often, and arnt badly priced, unless it needs and engine rebuild...

Like i said on the previous thread.... I wouldnt take the risk with the rust issues cars have in the UK. Have a look at the used car sites in Japan. I own a UK import e30 and there are rust holes in all sorts of awkward places.

Cheers, I already got my mate to go check this out, as this car will be jointly owned by him and me when it arrives hopefully, Still its an auction so...

Personally, I'd spend the money converting your 540i to 6 speed. It wont have an 'M' badge, or the pedigree that comes with it, but will surely be just as satisfying to drive.

Or

Buy an M5 in NZ, they come up every so often, and arnt badly priced, unless it needs and engine rebuild...

Hmmm yeah but $6-8k easy to convert to manual and not really being a 540is.

There were few M5 that came up but Im little weary of the high kms on them... Although my research shows that as long as they were looked after well its ok. Still Kms dont lie as Suspensions and bushings go with age and kms...

Oooooops title reads E34 540is... which should really be M5... SOrry for the confusion guys... just too excited!

Sorted.

Cheers... LOL

Hmmm yeah but $6-8k easy to convert to manual and not really being a 540is.

There were few M5 that came up but Im little weary of the high kms on them... Although my research shows that as long as they were looked after well its ok. Still Kms dont lie as Suspensions and bushings go with age and kms...

I got offered a E34 540 manual for $8ish in Wellington, and the NZ New manuals come up from time to time. I wouldnt expect to pay more than $10K-12 for a top car, especially when the 3.6 M5s arent selling for much more.

At 3000 pounds, by the time you have transported it, paid the GST, and got it through compliance, you would have to be budgeting $15K best case, $20K+ worst case (-compliance reveals dodgy repairs or rust - dont trust the fact that the vehicle has a current MOT).

For that sort of money you would pick up one of the rare NZ New E39 540 manuals, or a top E34 M5.

For that sort of money you would pick up one of the rare NZ New E39 540 manuals, or a top E34 M5.

True.