Sign in to follow this  
wellywally

Also looking to get a 318ti

I've looked at a 1997 M44 318ti compact that is mostly very tidy cosmetically.

A few things are bothering me and I wondered what the general thoughts were.

When looking at the engine it looked like there was a bit of oil coming from the rocker cover area... Am I looking at megabucks to replace this?

Also on the inside the roof material is sagging a bit. Is it possible to somehow inject some glue in or is it a complete remove and replace job?

Finally it is an m-sport but just has the m44 1.9l engine in it so is a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing - is this and 3 series compacts generally detrimental to my masculinity???

Edited by wellywally

If the rocker cover gasket is leaking then it's a pretty cheap repair by replacing the gasket itself.

Roof lining will need to be removed and repaired, easily doable.

It probably just has the M body kit and badges fitted to it, you never know these days.

Guest Simon*

Finally it is an m-sport but just has the m44 1.9l engine in it so is a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing - is this and 3 series compacts generally detrimental to my masculinity???

Haha if you're comfortable with your sexuality don't let it be a hindrance :D

Seriously, they're good little cars - perhaps even underrated. The M44 is a good motor. You'll get all the Compact pundits launching in here shortly.

Good luck with finding the right car

When looking at the engine it looked like there was a bit of oil coming from the rocker cover area... Am I looking at megabucks to replace this?

Also on the inside the roof material is sagging a bit. Is it possible to somehow inject some glue in or is it a complete remove and replace job?

yes seen a few sagging roof liners

2 options either replace with a second hand one or get it reupholstered

rocker gaskets aren't a problem, just check that there are no leaks from the front motor covers too, that's when the price will start to get higher

I got a compact and sure dont have a problem with my Masculinity.

Mine gets up an goes well enough for me at the moment but plan on an upgrade some time this year.

If you want to see what can be done to the Compact have a look at Glenn's build topic.

I got a compact and sure dont have a problem with my Masculinity.

Mine gets up an goes well enough for me at the moment but plan on an upgrade some time this year.

If you want to see what can be done to the Compact have a look at Glenn's build topic.

Thanks all.

:( Just lost a trade me auction (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=265567075). the search continues