Sign in to follow this  
dubman

Noob tyre question

Noob tyre question

I have 205/60/14 Yokohama's S306 on my stock bmw alloys. It's been raining for a bit in auckland lately, and my rear end started to kick out in 2nd gear with a little bit of gas. I got around 7mm tread on my tyres. Should i get some lower profile tyres or get some better quality tyres? or is my right foot just a tad bit too heavy. no drama in the dry, i just find it hard to believe a 316 kicks out that easily.

thanks in advance

How old are the tyres? The rubber in them may have gone hard.

i just got the car WoFed. the cars been sitting there for at least a year in the previous owners garage. cheers.

There should be a 4 digit stamp on the tyres, this generally indicates the week and year they were made. If it has been sitting around for ages chances are teh tyres have gone "off".

I would say road conditions may also have played a part as it hasn't rained for ages and then with the heavy showers yesterday it would have brought all the crap tto the surface of the road and made it slippery.

Bit off Topic - i've got the original spare tyre from my 306... manufactured in 92!

Jono - what would you recommend as a cheap touring tyre 195/65/15 for the diesel daily...

The WOF only establishes that a tyre has sufficient tread to comply and that it does not showing obvious signs of decay.

A tidy looking hard as nails 40 year old tyre with no grip can and will pass a warrant.

True that. Time for new rims XD. so i can get new tyres.....

Bit off Topic - i've got the original spare tyre from my 306... manufactured in 92!

Jono - what would you recommend as a cheap touring tyre 195/65/15 for the diesel daily...

pm sent

I would say road conditions may also have played a part as it hasn't rained for ages and then with the heavy showers yesterday it would have brought all the crap tto the surface of the road and made it slippery.

+1. Traction control was going nuts with the slightest suggestion of enthusiasm!

I used to get the biggest frights turning in roundabout's in 2nd gear in my old 316i and the rear end would kick out on new tyres. I had cheap tyres too but I think the road surface has more to play than the tyres. And before anyone asks I wasn't driving like a muppet.

Sorry elmarco can't agree with you on that one.

The road conditions do change but the difference between an ordinary tyre (read bad) and a good tyre is how it deals with the change in conditions. This is no where more apparent than on motorcycle tyres some are fabulous cold hot wet or dry and others are NOT. Not surprisingly it is the more expensive ones that are better all round.

The issue might be more finely balanced in a high powered car but a 316 probably does not fall in that group - ordinary tyres, tired suspension and a wet road all add up to reduced traction and control - don't blame just the road.

Huh? Could have sworn I was the only one in the car when that happened yesterday in the rain....

hmmm.. tires do have expiration date??? how many years from manufacture?

EFk2203? im just going on the info from johno. thats the only thing thats close to a date. cheers

More OT, I have the Original Spare for my E30, Manifactured 1990 :D

I've had it put on another rim though....

Also, there may have been oil or something on the road when you passed over it? I spun a car out once due to oily stuff on the road (industrial area)

ass end of car went kersmack into the kerb. Thanfully no damage. looks like a few cars do the same thing on that corner.....

My 320+5i has 195's on it.......

Edited by antil33t

I know this will grate with Zenetti but the Pirelli Nero just stuck like sh*t to a blanket regardless of conditions- firm case soft compound - for all round wet / dry traction in a straight line and around corners they still rate tops with me.

Don't drag me into this :D I have no issues with Pirelli at all. If you want the very top end of the performance tyre market and you can afford them then good for you. However I firmly believe that not everyone on here has ultimate performance as their number one criteria, and do not need to have the very best of the tyres in the market. There are plenty of very good tyres out there that are suitable for members cars and will fit budgets as required.

But back to the original post and trying to stick to the topic. Dubman - it is more than likely that your tyres are well past their best. Their age combined with the fact the car has been sitting around for over a year indicates that it is more than likely the case.

Edited by zenetti