Sign in to follow this  
M Power

E24 M635CSi Front Brakes on Rear?

I'm planning on upgrading the front brakes on my 84 M635 to an AP Racing 6 pot kit. Just not sure what to do about the rears.

Someone suggested swap the existing factory 4 pot brakes & 300mm rotors off the front and fit these to the rear.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience as to how easy this would be? i.e. direct bolt on or lots of engineering required?

Cheers

e34 540i 300mm by 20mm bolt straight on from the rear .. also i think there where a bigger brake package for teh e34 m5 3.8L that will also bolt on , and maybe from a e31 850csi etc

Apologies for the n00b question, but would putting the larger front brakes onto the rear affect the brake bias between between the front and rear? I mean, M power I imagine is looking at a racing application, but how would this work on the street? Would any modifications be required for the brake cylinders? Would certing be involved?

Edited by Sick Puppy

Yes a cert would be involved (basically for brakes you can change pads/rotors and brake lines but that's it without needing a cert), and it would as you say affect the brake bias.

Perhaps a better question, what are your goals?

Edited by CamB

I'm planning on upgrading the front brakes on my 84 M635 to an AP Racing 6 pot kit. Just not sure what to do about the rears.

Someone suggested swap the existing factory 4 pot brakes & 300mm rotors off the front and fit these to the rear.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience as to how easy this would be? i.e. direct bolt on or lots of engineering required?

Cheers

If you end up getting rid of the factory front brakes (I assume they're 4 pots if your car is an actual m635) I'd be happy to take them off your hands, for a reasonable price.

Yes I'm looking at an upgrade for a track car.

The reason for considering upgrading the rears is that by upgrading just the fronts then I've been told that this will affect the bias. So by bolting bigger rotors and calipers on the rear should help rebalance this. I'm no mechanic, hence asking for other opinons also.

Brent - thanks for that.

Slavvy - will keep you in mind if they become available.

Cheers

Sorry - I meant the question for "Sick Puppy" - I assumed you had the good reason you set out but its not so clear for Sick Puppy.