Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Ownership Costs - E36 vs E30

I agree with ya, don't pass on the tidy car only becuase its an auto. What size engine is it BTW?

I second that, having a good reliable car sounds more important than the transmission type.

Cheers

its a 318 - The 1.8L 4cylinder engine works out well with my insurance company as well, as there not too keen on me jumping into the 6 cylinder / above 2L models. I must say take into consideration this is my first car and I'm not that worried about engine size yet. On the plus side it seems to be alot more zippier than my mums E36 318i.

Yeah another thing I noticed - I was under the idea that it was black untill I looked under the hood. Its dolphin grey, which is supprising as its so dark. Is dolphin grey meant to be close to black, I always thought it was a dark grey much like charcoal, makes me think maybe tis had a respray.

Edited by E30stz

I know what you mean about insurance. You'll find it bad enough that its a BMW. Then wait till you start modifying, finding (cheap) insurance becomes a real mission then. Use the same insurance company as your parents.

Yeah I am - my parents are helping me out quite a bit, so I'm gonna keep modifications and things like insurance to their liking for now.

There is an example of the yuckles hubcaps

Posted Image

Edited by E30stz

its a 318 - The 1.8L 4cylinder engine works out well with my insurance company as well, as there not too keen on me jumping into the 6 cylinder / above 2L models. I must say take into consideration this is my first car and I'm not that worried about engine size yet.

True, thast the same story when I got mine as a first car.

As for insurance, say it is your mums car, and you are a 10% driver. Thats what I did with my old E30 and it cost me about $5 a week :D For this to happen I had to put the car in her name, which is no problem.

But that looks like a tidy one. First upgrade I'd do would be some bottlecaps. Silver E30s look awesome with basketweaves too.

Sorry thats not the one I'm buying. Those are just an example of the hubcaps. The one I'm looking at is

1989 318i In Dolphin Grey on 101,000 km's on hubcaps :) !

Edited by E30stz

Yeah, I have the same hubcaps - I bought bottlecap mags as I wanted to keep the car relatively "stock" for insurance purposes, but it turns out one of the bottlecaps is bent, so I need to ring the guy I bought them off and see what we can arrange otherwise I am looking for a new wheel.

Insurance sucks. If you are living at home, put it in your parents name and be the main driver on the policy - that way you won't get into trouble when they find out you drive it all the time.

If you move out of home, it might be hard to explain why you have your parents car all the time - insurance companies are wise to the fact that parents do this for their kids, and it is illegal, so if they do find out they might not pay out.

Guest Andrew

From a fuel economy perspective - manual 318s are great. Auto ones use more gas.. and I mean way more gas than a manual 325 does.