Sign in to follow this  
ozzy

vibration in steering, something inside tyre?

Hi all

this morning when driving to work i noticed that my e36 had a slight vibration, and it got worse the faster i drove. after checking all the wheel nuts and having a quick look at steering rack decided to drive home and jack up the car to have a look.

When i jacked it up everything looked alright how ever when spinning one of the wheels it sounded like something was rolling around inside the tyre.

is this something anyone else has struck or is there something in the wheel arch that may make a similar sound when broken?

this seemed to happen overnight completely randomly as i haven't hit a curb or anything like that.

Thanks is advance for your help

matt

Swap the wheels with the back pair and see if the vibration goes towards the back?

You may have a delaminated tyre. Pull the wheel off and check the inside for any bulges. It should be pretty easy to spot.

If the tyre proves to be fine it could be the wheel bearing, getting worse with vehicle speed etc, if it's collapsed enough it will cause a bad vibration.

But check the condition of the tyre first.

Turns out it was 6 or 7 small rubber balls inside the tyre. These apparently come off the tyre over time and the fact that i had so many in there unbalanced the tyre at speed.

Learn somthing new everyday

The tyres are unwarrantable anyway, so will need to get new ones in the next week. In saying that they did not mention about excessive wear on the inside.

What size tyres are you using? Let me know and I will price up some options for you

cheers

225/50/16, need two. i just checked using work's discount and came in at $125 a peice. but happy if you can beat it.

What brand is that, and does it include fitting and balancing?

Edited by zenetti