Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Remove old rubber (coupe windows)

Just recieved my order for some new rubber bits for my car but now having trouble removing the old rubber which is stuck on by adhesive strips. only able to get like 1cm off at a time so is taking awhile.

Edit: okay i got the rubber off now. but the adhesive strips are still there. Would anythign like meths help remove it?

Edited by Brenton

I'm guessing you're replacing the rubber along the vent window?

If so the old rubber is easy enough to get off. Just pull. As you've said you will be left with a lot of adhesive. When I did it half the time was spent cleaning the old adhesive off. I just used meths from memory.

Just be patient and work on it a little bit at a time. Will be well worth it once the new strips are on!

Cheers

I'm guessing you're replacing the rubber along the vent window?

If so the old rubber is easy enough to get off. Just pull. As you've said you will be left with a lot of adhesive. When I did it half the time was spent cleaning the old adhesive off. I just used meths from memory.

Just be patient and work on it a little bit at a time. Will be well worth it once the new strips are on!

Cheers

Thanks Nick. Oh BTW to fully remove the window, I can't manage to remove the seat belt thing which adjust the height of the seatbelt. The little plastic tab u press to go up or down. This is the last step stopping me from actually removing the window.... kinda stumped and i don't want to break it.

It is a hell of a lot easier if you do remove the window. That bit got me for a while aswell.

On the little handle thing there's a tab underneath. Stick something pointy into the tab as hard as you can and then the handle bit should pull off. Easy as that!

It is a hell of a lot easier if you do remove the window. That bit got me for a while aswell.

On the little handle thing there's a tab underneath. Stick something pointy into the tab as hard as you can and then the handle bit should pull off. Easy as that!

thanks nick will give it another go now cheers

Th

I've had that prob too, just pour some prepsol or meths on a rag and rub, it should start to crumble off.

okay tonight was the only free time i had the whole weekend to have a go at removing the adhesive strips on the vent rubber. Spent the last 2 hrs with meths and a cloth rubbing as hard as I could on the rubber trying to get it off but still lots of it is still there. Is there any other trick to it? the meths doesn't seem to be helping to much? not making it crumble as i thought it would

edit. even started using a hair dryer on it atm during the nite to try and soften it up.

Edited by Brenton