Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Blu-ray via PS3

Audio input for tv broadcasts will come from freeview receiver anyway, and audio from PS3 can come via optical from PS3. I've been advised to buy an AVR that has a few other "important" features and sacrifice HDMI through the AVR if required rather than the other way around.

Yeah, I'm aware that my budget is limited for speakers, but they'll be 1000 times better than what I have now, and I can always upgrade later as finances allow - at least this way I am getting the basics right. I've got a small living room as it is, and my ears are hardly what you'd call finely tuned. More like cauliflowers stuffed with cotton wool.

Audio input for tv broadcasts will come from freeview receiver anyway, and audio from PS3 can come via optical from PS3. I've been advised to buy an AVR that has a few other "important" features and sacrifice HDMI through the AVR if required rather than the other way around.

Yeah, I'm aware that my budget is limited for speakers, but they'll be 1000 times better than what I have now, and I can always upgrade later as finances allow - at least this way I am getting the basics right. I've got a small living room as it is, and my ears are hardly what you'd call finely tuned. More like cauliflowers stuffed with cotton wool.

*nods*

Though be aware that you will not get the true HD audio over optical that HDMI 1.3/1.4 will provide.

I'd go for something like this:

http://www.pioneernz.co.nz/default.asp?Obj...ckCode=VSX819HK

I'bve seen it waaay below that RRP at JbHiFi. Just cant remember exactly how much.

Edited by -Alias-

Nice unit - has everything I'd ever want.

Cheers - doubt it'll be at my price point though. Whilst I am making the step up from cheap off-the shelf boxed systems, I'm not really in the market for anything other than the low end of the mid-range stuff.

Nice unit - has everything I'd ever want.

Cheers - doubt it'll be at my price point though. Whilst I am making the step up from cheap off-the shelf boxed systems, I'm not really in the market for anything other than the low end of the mid-range stuff.

Fair enough. I did the same about 8 months ago, but now I am finding I'm going to have to replace the Yamaha RX-V363 i bought then when I upgrade my TV.

Bought a 250GB PS3 today. Am also buying some audio gear off a BS member. Upped my budget and getting a Pioneer VSX-919, so I guess I ended up taking your advice in a way Alias. Plus a set of Wharfies to go with it.

Should be the business.

Bank balance needs to recover before I get the flat panel.

The door is always open Sam, the spare rooms always available, and the fridge always full of beer - you know that.