Sign in to follow this  
madaz

Brake noise on 318ti

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone here can help me out with this.

My partner has a 95 318ti, awesome little car, the only problem is when she sits in traffic the brakes squeal so damn loud when braking lightly... i think its got to the point where it does it all the time now, light or hard braking.

The brake pads and everything have lots of meat left on them aswell.

Could it be the compound of the pad? or possibly do the disks need skimming or something?

Cheers

Compound issues... machine discs (if they arent undersize) and fit genuine pads

Compound issues... machine discs (if they arent undersize) and fit genuine pads

cheers

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone here can help me out with this.

My partner has a 95 318ti, awesome little car, the only problem is when she sits in traffic the brakes squeal so damn loud when braking lightly... i think its got to the point where it does it all the time now, light or hard braking.

The brake pads and everything have lots of meat left on them aswell.

Could it be the compound of the pad? or possibly do the disks need skimming or something?

Cheers

If you have lots of meat on them, it could be just the rotors. Mine squeel like a stuck pig at the lights also, so I will take them off and send them down the road, I like going to the little garages where they will have a go at anything, anyway I got one down the road and for like 40bucks a rotor, they will machine them if they can do so within specs. If your rotors are too worn, they wont do them, and the only other option is to get secondhand or new. Keep in mind, even if they can machine them up, they will be narrower, and therfore more susceptible to warping etc and even more issues, which is why if its marginal, you might as well replace them. Due to the economics, most countries with large populations just replace rotors when they replace pads. Here rotors are cheap...but not that cheap. Guy on trademe does some cheap rotors, pads are cheap I will just scuff mine probably incase they have glazed up. If you have just normal road spec pads they shouldnt be noisey, and it would be bloody hard to tell but again do the rotors first, and if they are still noisey you will have to replace the pads.