Sign in to follow this  
APT

45mm VS 51mm Struts

So i am just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference in handling between the e30 struts ? I know the 325's come with 51mm struts as apposed to 318's with 45mm.

I have upgraded my 320i to 51mm shocks just because i got some KYB's for cheap, but know that ive got some bilsteins they are 45mm. So im weighing up if they will make a difference and go back to 45mm.

Cheers

Andrew

Again, the series cars use either, and I don't know of any problems with the 45's. In fact, it seems to be the 51's that cause problems, due to wear on the thread on the tube.

I think some of the performance shocks tend to be more available in 51mm, this is why I went to 51mm struts but at the end of the day the shock absorbers actually make the difference.

a 45mm shock might allow that tiny bit more clearance to a wider wheel tire combo.

Get both your shocks checked and use whichever one performs the best and go with that size strut tube.