Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Car groomers Dunedin

Can anyone help or know of anyone who to trust to goto?

I've taken my GTS to a place here in Dunedin & it's come back stuffed to say the least. It was just an external one for $170 & aparantley they cut & polished it however it's come back very very swirly & it wasn't before going there.

Just keen to know if anyone has used someone & has been pleased with the result. I would do it myself but I just don't trust myself with power tools or liquid solutions!

Cheers.

"The Clean" do cut and polishes I think.

I see cars there all the time, so they can't be that bad...

A decent paintshop is the place to go, for a decent (read good job) cut and polish expect to pay $300+.I got my partners MX5 done when the front got painted for stonechips etc.

TBH, I've never (and will never) use a orbital polisher, Unless you REALLY no what your doing you will do more bad than good.And clearly if its swirly they didn't no what they were doing, at all.

It is hard to beat the old method of polishing by hand if you ask me.

Yeah, Mines all swirly and hologrammed... I'm tempted to just pay someone to do it haha. But someone will look at me funny cause it's an E30.

Yeah I might try the paintshop thing. This time I'll be hanging around while they do it too because my car is the kind of car people will love to remove 3mm of rear tread for me, thrown in ontop of the job. Friend of mine went to an unnamed place here in Dunedin and another mate of mine seen them removing tread from the tyres for him free of charge. It doesn't inspire confidence!

Here's a pic so you can get an idea of the issue. It's over the entire car and most apparent when it's in direct or high lighting. I think you can actually see where the buffing machine has been. Also, the cleaner the car the worse it is. Honestly, this photo doesn't at all do the justice that I'm complaining about. It looks terribad.

post-2864-1265686442.jpg

Edited by Clinton

That's what's happened to mine, but I diddn't charge myself 170 dollars to do that...

TBH, I've never (and will never) use a orbital polisher, Unless you REALLY no what your doing you will do more bad than good.And clearly if its swirly they didn't no what they were doing, at all.

dual action isn't too bad

but yea doing it by hand is the best way, just takes a while :)

[edit] Clinton - if only you were based in Wgtn, my mate and his dad own a car grooming business and do really good work

Edited by Wom

Orbital polishers are far better as they don't hologram due to the random motion of the motor. Looking at the pics you have hologramming from someone who doesn't know how to properly use a rotary polisher / buffer. I'd ask for my money back.

IMO most "detailing" places in New Zealand are sh*t. They use generic products and a rotary polisher regardless of paint condition or type. A proper detail will take a whole day and include a wash, clay, paint correction, varying grades of polish / pads for the orbital or rotary polisher and finally a quality wax.

Don't put up for rubbish work... if they get away with it they'll keep doing it to more customers cars.

Next round is going to be a word of mouth thing for me. As I said, I've lost confidence in taking it anywhere & with respect it is a 60 thousand dollar car.

Have a look at the detailing world forum, there's heaps of info there- if you are going to do it yourself, maybe try a random orbital/ dual action polisher? Not as fast, will take longer, but chances of damaging the paintwork are much reduced... even minor defects will shows up like dog's balls on a black car though, especially when it's clean!

Can you take some close up shots of the worst areas at a bit of an angle to show the damage? Curious to see how bad a job they did! Have you hit the polishers up about the job at all?

edit Wom, where is your mate's business? I may be requiring their services soon... one place next to me I looked at using, and then walked away once I say they were using brushes on the paintwork... :wacko:

Edited by Sick Puppy

I seriously don't trust myself to do it. I only know one tool and it's a hammer. The guy used an orbital and Mothers but he said he also used a rubbing compound. When I first got it back before Christmas it looked tops, bar the fact the dust was sticking to it far far far more than it was before. Because it's black I wash it 3 times a week & after a week you could notice the swirls. He redone it two weeks ago and once again it looked great, then a week later it returned to the fail that it is atm. I'm using Dura-Seal car wash, it's $48 per 1 litre bottle & I've always used it.

When I had my Range Rover I took it to him aswell. The car came back brilliant to when it first went in, it never wore off and it always gleamed & he claims he's used the same technique as this time round.

Edited by Clinton

That's a pretty poor job for sure. I personally use an orbial polisher with generic sponge pads and Meguiar chemicals, never had any problem like this. I have done at least 10 cars for myslf, friends and family with great results.

IMHO, it's not hard at all, if you use random orbital, it's hard to cause harm to the paint work. From my experience, just need to remember a few points....

1. keep the pads clean (wash and clean when finished, sqeeze under water between doing different panals)

2. keep moving steady (so not enough heat to cause damage)

3. never concentrate on one spot (if there's a bad spot, do a few past over it.) and fast past on any edged.

4. use enouh product so it will leave an evenly thin coat behind (esp. final wax stage) but not so much that it splatters

Edited by my_e36

talk to Surge, hes in the business and knows what you should expect. I'd be getting a 2nd opinion from a professional (IRL) and go back for some answers.

They clearly don't know how to cut/polish. The effect on your car Clinton is due to the fact the job is half done. When you cut/buff a car you will get that effect but you always follow that with an anti-swirl compound then a machine glaze then a hand glaze (similar to polish but doesn't give the horrible waxy build-up like a polish).

Oh and before they even start they should wash the car and use a clay bar.

If you were closer i would fix it up for ya.

edit Wom, where is your mate's business? I may be requiring their services soon... one place next to me I looked at using, and then walked away once I say they were using brushes on the paintwork... :wacko:

hey

he owns Hutt City Grooming, 37 Hautonga St Petone

I haven't taken my car to him as I do it myself, but he's taken care of a few of my mate's cars before they've sold them and has done a fantastic job on their cars

I seriously don't trust myself to do it. I only know one tool and it's a hammer. The guy used an orbital and Mothers but he said he also used a rubbing compound. When I first got it back before Christmas it looked tops, bar the fact the dust was sticking to it far far far more than it was before. Because it's black I wash it 3 times a week & after a week you could notice the swirls. He redone it two weeks ago and once again it looked great, then a week later it returned to the fail that it is atm. I'm using Dura-Seal car wash, it's $48 per 1 litre bottle & I've always used it.

When I had my Range Rover I took it to him aswell. The car came back brilliant to when it first went in, it never wore off and it always gleamed & he claims he's used the same technique as this time round.

Best way to fix that would be Wash, Clay, Mild polish, Wax. All by hand. Should take the better part of a day.

Best way to fix that would be Wash, Clay, Mild polish, Wax. All by hand. Should take the better part of a day.

You won't get machine swirls out by hand alone.

If you try and fix it yourself, then you wont be getting anything from the valet company.

I'm not really wanting anything from them. If the GTS doesn't sell this week then I will be getting Cookies to do it. I'm currently looking at buying a E53 3.0d & if this falls thru then I will be getting it done properly!

hey

he owns Hutt City Grooming, 37 Hautonga St Petone

I haven't taken my car to him as I do it myself, but he's taken care of a few of my mate's cars before they've sold them and has done a fantastic job on their cars

Cheers for that, I'd do it myself but don't have the polisher & gear... yet ;)