Sign in to follow this  
Simon 328M

328i vs M328i

I think the point here is that there is no actual 328i vs M328i, for the very fact that there is no 'motorsport 328i.'

So the argument is non sensical.

But I think a better way to look at it, may be that there are m-spec or motorsport spec 'parts,' or 'options' for a 328i.

I have a 328i, and thats that...for everyone. I had an m-spec front sway bar and std rear one, which is odd, I have since upgraded the rear swaybar to m-spec specs. I have also upgraded the hoodliner to the m-spec black one, but it then you really could just call these options as oppossed to m-spec options.

My Mum's car is what I would call an 'original' m-spec, which just means really that it has all the options 'we' consider to be accepted as an 'original m-spec vehicle.' But in theory it really could be seen as a 320i with m-spec options. To be honest I am guessing the dealers originally would have had some demarcation between standard and motorsport versions just to aid them in selling the blighters, of course you could also sell a 'standard' with some m-spec options, in the same way you could buy a v8 commodore with some ss options, but it would not be an 'original' ss, even if in reality you may have been able to spec a executive to ss level.

In any case Mum's car, has the half leather interior, the clear fronts, repeaters and rears, black hoodliner, m-spec steering wheel, m-spec bodykit with the slats, m-spec sway bars, style 30's and to confuse matters the avus kit which is the bilstein suspension not boge m-spec. In all honesty it is easier to call this car an original m-spec vehicle because it lacks nothing from the m-spec list really, it also has a sunroof. It may be culturally constructed but it may be easier to think of this car as a motorsport 320i, than a 320i with a few m-spec options.

fyi, I prefer my fairly standard 328i to Mum's motorsport by a fair bit, cause even with Mum's avus spec, my car would lay waste to it pretty easy and as a daily drive is just plain nicer. Mum's 'better' suspension (which is debatable, if at all noticable) isnt enough to compensate when I have alot more torque at my disposal.

I would take a 328i with cloth interior than a fully spec'd 318i for sure.

In anycase, get as many m-spec options as you can, it certainly doesnt hurt, and I cant think of any negatives, other than the colour of the hoodliner, I think the actual material is different, I have yet to see a saggy balck hoodliner, but thats just me, so other than a change of colour , I think its just better in general.

my 12c

Just wondering are are there ANY engine / computer / HP differences in the motorsport models or just cosmetic and handling?

Cheers

Wasnt implying that there was any performance advantage , just what i was told !!

personally i would not have bought my car without the sport package as i think they look 100 times better than non Mspec bmw's.

My M-spec 328i has a different ratio diff to a non m spec.

Same as my old e36 320i m sport, different ratio diff.

My E36 has the 704 body and suspension option. But it only has an M spoiler [don't think the skrts are M] It is certainly M in the suspension department.

The reason for the lack of sexy M kit on her is I have found some accident repair [Me being a super fussy panel beater, nobody else sees the paint differences]

The suspension makes a difference in comparison to my brothers old e36 325i sedan [whale]

The M spec looks better drives better and has LSD and yes the almighty black headliner

....I have a non M spec 328i coupe... my mother has the M spec 328i coupe. . . . feels more locked onto the road and not as boaty as mine... so which would you prefer!