Sign in to follow this  
M325is

Man dies at winter olympics

Did anyone else see that man die on the news tonight?

Is it just me or is it very wrong to show footage of him being killed so soon after the accident?

All I can say is I dont think he would have felt a thing, extremely quick painless death, dying what he loved doing. Just a shame it was before his olympic debut.

I saw that on the news at the pub..

f**k THAT.

is all I can really say about that.

All I can say is I dont think he would have felt a thing, extremely quick painless death, dying what he loved doing.

I dont know about quick and painless, he was alive after the accident and went was taken to hospital before he died.

They only said he was pronounced dead at the hospital. Id say he wouldn't have been conscious and his body would have just been shutting down.

We were shocked that it made the lead news item on TV3 at 6pm! It was pretty horrific to watch and really does cast a cloud over the games. The organisers were warned that the track was TOO fast. I also can't believe that they didn't have some form of padding on those steel beams :wacko:

wow, from 148km/h-0 in under a second, anyone know how to calculate how many G's that is?

I don't think padding would have made a hell of a lot of difference. Hit pretty much anything at 100km/h+ and I think your in the sh*t.

I think they should have netting along the sides to top them shooting out into steel beams.

Or people should accept it as a risk in the sport...

Motorsport is dangerous.. which people accept.

wow, from 148km/h-0 in under a second, anyone know how to calculate how many G's that is?

If I understand this correctly...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/carcr2.html

(Average Crash Force) x (Crumple zone or Stopping Distance) = (Negative) (1/2 mass x velocity^2)

Assuming, the man is 150 lb, 1ft stopping distance.

Then the crash force is roughly 21 ton!

Guest Ari Gold

Padding wouldn't have saved him.

People get shown dying all the time: every time a bomb goes off in the middle east, all the twin towers footage, the tsunami etc etc. Are you all getting wound up because one death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic?

It says he was going about 88miles/hr when he hit that beam, it's a shame he wasn't in a DeLoren.. then he could have gone back in time and taken up a different sport!!

Took me forever to find the video but yeah, I'm suprised it hasn't happened alot more, especially at the speeds they travel.

Are you all getting wound up because one death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic?

More like most of this mans family arent aware of his death yet and they went and put it on international tele. But in saying that if it had of been the real thing and not a training run it would have been aired live to his whole family and the world.

I dont know why those beams were exposed like that. It would have been easy to have the track go up the side and cover the beams, thats the benifit of hind sight thoug i guess. I dont agree with TV3 showing it.

All the networks here showed it on the news but prefaced it with a warning

The footage didn't bother me, it is the risk you knowingly take when you compete in a potentially dangerous sport like that. The images of death and suffering in Haiti was more harrowing in my opinion.

The images of death and suffering in Haiti was more harrowing in my opinion.

Thats a really odd thing to say. How about telling the family that.

I agree with pugman, it's a dangerous sport. The risk was accepted from the start. But on account of screening it across NZ TV at 6pm, I'm not so sure about that.