Sign in to follow this  
Ragga_NZ

E36 door cloth sagging

Hey people,

My e36 320I 98 is old and bits are starting to sag. I know how to get the door panel off but what the best way to get the bit that has the cloth on off from the door panel. The the plastic part with the little black circles????

black circles??

ive got my car butchered atm, doing a lil spruce up in the interior.

that cloth is / was stuck onto a fibreglass moulding. you need to be careful semi easy to snap in 1/2 if you are trying to remove it from the door panel. and the glue that the fibreglass is stuck onto the door panel is still sticky as a %*^%.

i used a glue dissolver/cleaner. sprayed it into the blacking glue and left for an hour to soak. was about 1/2 easier to pull it off..

Hey what glue dissolver did you use? I've been looking and could only find a few things and weren't sure they were the right thing.

When you get the top panel off you have to clean it. I used turps myself, and a bit of sandpaper here and there, because the things are made of wood composite, the original glue after years just detaches itself, the glue itself is good, but the composite is rubbish. Once its clean as, I used ados spray and reupholstered it with new soft material (cloth). Vinyl is a nightmare, I didnt even bother with the original, as its thermo-vac jobbie and its out of my league.

Hey what glue dissolver did you use? I've been looking and could only find a few things and weren't sure they were the right thing.

I used Turps and a small screwdriver. Then I used rough sandpaper to make sure all the 'grease' was off and it was clean as hell. You can get cans of ados from Mitre 10, thats what I did, I dont know what material you are going to use, but I went to an upholsterers and got cloth. I wouldnt even bother with vinyl.

You might as well take the entire door off and glue all the plastic insides on (or re-glue) and make a job of it.

it gets rid of all the clanging and creaks, my coupe is bloody awesome now in that regards.

Hey people,

My e36 320I 98 is old and bits are starting to sag. I know how to get the door panel off but what the best way to get the bit that has the cloth on off from the door panel. The the plastic part with the little black circles????

I Dont know why I never searched on here before looking on the net for the past 2 months in how this is done.

Great advice, I thought it would have something to do with Desolving the old glue to get that panel off.

Thanks guys,