Sign in to follow this  
paulo

e46 stereo - trying to test it in an e36

Hi, I've got a 2001 e46 bmw factory head unit that I want to power up and test to see if it picks up nz stations. Problem is I dont have an e46 to try it in. (thinking of getting an e46 further down the track, so want to keep the head-unit 'till then)

I've connected it up to my e36, but get a "disabled" message on the display, presumably because it cant see the "i-bus" system that the e46 has.

Does anyone know of a work-around for this? My e36 is 1994 pre OBD2 - would it test out OK in a '96 -'97 e36 with OBD2, or is the i-bus specific to e46 models.

Cheers

Paul

Hi, I've got a 2001 e46 bmw factory head unit that I want to power up and test to see if it picks up nz stations. Problem is I dont have an e46 to try it in. (thinking of getting an e46 further down the track, so want to keep the head-unit 'till then)

I've connected it up to my e36, but get a "disabled" message on the display, presumably because it cant see the "i-bus" system that the e46 has.

Does anyone know of a work-around for this? My e36 is 1994 pre OBD2 - would it test out OK in a '96 -'97 e36 with OBD2, or is the i-bus specific to e46 models.

Cheers

Paul

Connect the E36 kbus wire to the E46 radio's ibus input.

Check the E36 wiring diagram for the location of the kbus.

Then it will work...

PS: the sticker on the radio tells you if it works in NZ or not... tell me what model radio is it and what is written on the sticker, and I'll tell you what region it is for.

Connect the E36 kbus wire to the E46 radio's ibus input.

Check the E36 wiring diagram for the location of the kbus.

Then it will work...

PS: the sticker on the radio tells you if it works in NZ or not... tell me what model radio is it and what is written on the sticker, and I'll tell you what region it is for.

Thanks for the instructions, jochen - I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

The radio is

BMW BUSINESS

65.12 -6 900 402

PH705011118512

KW 31/01

INDEX: 01

9022 217 05239 03

003 0131 1118512

22DC705/23

WA030131

on the other label it says:

KOMMISS RADIOLAGER

DAT: 04.08.2001/05-14:50

LFD.NR.S3:0013

AP32 318I RL A TO M43 JP

661 807

6 900 402

BAL: KLEINE

JB43601

It was out of a jap import, but with the date of 04.08.2001 I am hoping that it is the world tuner type that can be set to "Oceania" mode.

Do you know if it will require a security code? I think there are some web sites that can decode based on serial # , but if you happen to have the software to work out the code then that would save me a bit of research time!

PS< it has the small aerial plug on the back - don't know if that is relevent or not - I guess I can obtain an adaptor if I end up putting it into an earlier e46 with the standard size euro socket?

Many thanks for your help!

Thanks for the instructions, jochen - I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

The radio is

BMW BUSINESS

65.12 -6 900 402

PH705011118512

KW 31/01

INDEX: 01

9022 217 05239 03

003 0131 1118512

22DC705/23

WA030131

on the other label it says:

KOMMISS RADIOLAGER

DAT: 04.08.2001/05-14:50

LFD.NR.S3:0013

AP32 318I RL A TO M43 JP

661 807

6 900 402

BAL: KLEINE

JB43601

It was out of a jap import, but with the date of 04.08.2001 I am hoping that it is the world tuner type that can be set to "Oceania" mode.

Do you know if it will require a security code? I think there are some web sites that can decode based on serial # , but if you happen to have the software to work out the code then that would save me a bit of research time!

PS< it has the small aerial plug on the back - don't know if that is relevent or not - I guess I can obtain an adaptor if I end up putting it into an earlier e46 with the standard size euro socket?

Many thanks for your help!

The radio came from this car:

08/2001 E46 318i Touring M43 Europe Right hand drive N

The Philips PH7050 is a New Generation radio with the world tuner

It does not have a security code, it will work in any BMW

If you are fitting this into an older car (old gen) then you will need

1. Antenna adapter to adapt the smaller SMB connector (radio) to the larger DIN connector (car). The adapter cable is available from BMW, I can look up the part number on RealOEM if you need it

2. A new antenna amplifier in the left-hand C-pillar

The new antenna amp is necessary because the control method to control the antenna diversity function changed between old gen and new gen radio.

Fit a new gen radio to a car with old gen antenna amp, and you loose the antenna diversity function.

The antenna amp defaults to one antenna, and the FM reception performance drops dramatically.

In some areas of NZ with weak FM signals, such as the Waikato, this makes a huge difference in reception performance

So if you fit this radio to an old gen car, make sure you also replace the antenna amplifier.

The radio came from this car:

08/2001 E46 318i Touring M43 Europe Right hand drive N

The Philips PH7050 is a New Generation radio with the world tuner

It does not have a security code, it will work in any BMW

If you are fitting this into an older car (old gen) then you will need

1. Antenna adapter to adapt the smaller SMB connector (radio) to the larger DIN connector (car). The adapter cable is available from BMW, I can look up the part number on RealOEM if you need it

2. A new antenna amplifier in the left-hand C-pillar

The new antenna amp is necessary because the control method to control the antenna diversity function changed between old gen and new gen radio.

Fit a new gen radio to a car with old gen antenna amp, and you loose the antenna diversity function.

The antenna amp defaults to one antenna, and the FM reception performance drops dramatically.

In some areas of NZ with weak FM signals, such as the Waikato, this makes a huge difference in reception performance

So if you fit this radio to an old gen car, make sure you also replace the antenna amplifier.

Thanks Jochen -you are a true legend!