Sign in to follow this  
gjdavis

Ideas for wheels........

Hey guys just brought a 2000 BMW 320i sedan. Want to get some 17 inch wheels for it and was wondering if I could get some suggestions.

Heres some pics I snapped tonight:

post-3404-1266290855.jpg

post-3404-1266290863.jpg

post-3404-1266291204.jpg

Thinking of getting this sort of style but we are open to anything! Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I guess something to match the plate, I lold at in it on a dirt stock 320i

Go into your local mag and tyre direct, they have a massive range of wheels.

I guess something to match the plate, I lold at in it on a dirt stock 320i

Go into your local mag and tyre direct, they have a massive range of wheels.

Yea the plate was on my holden ute which was lowered on 19 inch wheels, don't really want to go down that path again........

Have been in touch with Jono and had a good lok at their website.

We sell a lot more 18's than 17's on the E46 3 series. Personally I think 18's do look better than 17's. The 17" wheel just looks a tad too small.

We sell a lot more 18's than 17's on the E46 3 series. Personally I think 18's do look better than 17's. The 17" wheel just looks a tad too small.

The main reason I want to go with 17's is because we had a E36 318 coupe with 18's and you don't get much clearance inside the guard. When you turned full lock the wheel actually touched the strut or chassis I can't quite remember which, we got failed on a wof once because of it.

Would we have the same issue with the E46?

That isn't to do with the diameter of the wheel (17", 18"). That is to do with incorrect fitment, most likely the wrong offset.

No matter what diameter rim you change to the rolling circumference always stays as close to factory as possible. So theres no difference there. The only other factors are the width and the offset.

You can pretty much go with any diameter wheel on a E46, although as you get a wider wheel you need to change the offset to avoid the tyres rubbing either on the struts or the wheel arch.

Johno will correct me where I might be wrong, has been a long day.

That isn't to do with the diameter of the wheel (17", 18"). That is to do with incorrect fitment, most likely the wrong offset.

No matter what diameter rim you change to the rolling circumference always stays as close to factory as possible. So theres no difference there. The only other factors are the width and the offset.

You can pretty much go with any diameter wheel on a E46, although as you get a wider wheel you need to change the offset to avoid the tyres rubbing either on the struts or the wheel arch.

Johno will correct me where I might be wrong, has been a long day.

Thanks Nick, didn't think about the offset etc....... Jono can you tell me what offset I can go to?

I thought I recognized the plate, you from the shore? More specifically, Birkenhead ways?

Anyways, if I remember rightly, E46's have fairly high offsets ie 35ish. But johnno ill be able to elaborate further.

Thanks Nick, didn't think about the offset etc....... Jono can you tell me what offset I can go to?

Ashkan is right. E46's run high offsets the same as an E36.

For 7.5 - 9ish you can stick around 35-40ish. As the offset decreases the further the wheel and tyre will stick out, also will fill out the guards better.

I thought I recognized the plate, you from the shore? More specifically, Birkenhead ways?

Anyways, if I remember rightly, E46's have fairly high offsets ie 35ish. But johnno ill be able to elaborate further.

Yea I'm on the shore, had the plates on a white holden ute then on a mazda atenza wagon.

Ashkan is right. E46's run high offsets the same as an E36.

For 7.5 - 9ish you can stick around 35-40ish. As the offset decreases the further the wheel and tyre will stick out, also will fill out the guards better.

hmm Jono's got a good price on 18 inch m3 reps.......... will have to have a test fit i think