Sign in to follow this  
kiwi535

battery charging

1990 535 battery under rear seat.Can i charge battery from terminal under bonnet or connect terminals to battery with all wiring still connected or is it best to do what i always have done and disconnect everything.Battery is completely dead,left parking lights on all day yesterday.

Technically the procedure is to disconnect but in reality have never had a problem in not & not likely to. As long as you are not fast charging.

Technically the procedure is to disconnect but in reality have never had a problem in not & not likely to. As long as you are not fast charging.

fast charging ? I have a smart charger,it went straight over to 8 amps and almost immediately went back to 6...after about an hour had dropped back to 5.5.I left then.The recomended time for charge was 12-20 hrs!Battery was as flat as a pancake only 11.5 volts.I have the battery out of the car.Thanks for the reply.

personaly i never would but i have heard of people doing it without any problems.

sounds very convenient but dont like the idea of charging the battery when the battery is inside the car...only took a few minutes to take it out anyway.

Alot of the cars electronics (especially the sensitive stuff) is isolated from the battery by the ignition. It's probably OK (though I don't risk it). Wouldn't do it with the ignition on though.

Also, batteries can emit explosive gas when being charged (according to the labels), so out of the car and not connected to anything that can make a spark is better than in as far as I'm concerned.

Alot of the cars electronics (especially the sensitive stuff) is isolated from the battery by the ignition. It's probably OK (though I don't risk it). Wouldn't do it with the ignition on though.

Also, batteries can emit explosive gas when being charged (according to the labels), so out of the car and not connected to anything that can make a spark is better than in as far as I'm concerned.

exactly what i did in the end too!