Sign in to follow this  
MrDevine

Paint Chips – Respray or touchup paint

The 540i has a handful of paint chips, a number on the roof behind the windscreen, plus a couple on the boot lid. They're pin head size, but they're starting to redden up. Not sure whether its worth getting the front part of the roof reprayed, and the bootlid done. I know touchup paint won't look as smooth, but it'll stop the rust?

Ideas? Get it sprayed and be done with it?

Hi there, I would suggest getting the correct touch up paint from the dealer and just doing a touch-up. Given that the stone chips are small and that you use with the correct method, the repair is almost seamless. The correct method of touching up will involve a bit of sanding, hence the surface is smooth.

I'd imagine a respray would be un-economical given the age of your car.

Cheers, Andrew

If you are worried 'bout the chips, and i guess you are as you posted the question lol.

My opinion is get roof and boot re-painted (then again i would say that, bein' a car painter a all lol)

If you can see dis-colouration ie; rust, then it's there to stay until it's fixed properly, touch up paint will only hide it not fix it.

Pity you're not closer as i would re-paint roof and boot for $250.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

PS: A nice tidy E34 540i is always worth keeping nice and tidy.