Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

A Pillar Cover

okay well since getting my car reupholstered i've noticed that my a pillar on my drivers side had been hanging a bit. Went over a speed bump and it came off. Looked behind and saw the clips had been broken. I talked to the place that reupholstered the them and they said that they broke when they removed it but they can't do anything about it. Is there anyway I can put it back up to make it look tidier again? Tried some temp solutions like blutack but thinking of something maybe like velcro strips on the back of it?

they said they cudn't really do much to fix the problem. So i couldn't be bothered arguing as they did an alright job on everything else and they didn't charge me to get the pillars done. Just doesn't look too good as its not flush anymore.

They could goto wrecker... purchase new pillar cover for few moneys, recover it and install?

unless the wee clips are replaceable.

The broken bits are not replaceable as they are part of the pillar. Through time they become quite brittle, not uncommon to break them when removing.

Would suggest buying an intact one from a wrecker then asking this place to recover it for free since they admitted fault.

hmm, will keep an eye on this thread

mine has a broken clip right at the top

I have read somewhere that you can get metal clips that you glue onto the back of the cover to replace the broken plastic ones?

I think this has been done on my drivers side one, but the glue has come unstuck on them. I don't really notice that it's not exactly flush anymore. :P

Yea im not too fussed. I think i read somewhere on the net about the metal clips aswell. Might just use some double sided tape or get some velcro to fix it. Basic simple DIY but yea.

Its a crap design, the metal clips that grab the plastic tabs are soo much stronger than the plastic, over time the plastic, well loses strength and well you keep bustin them. I just grabbed a big hunk of no more nails and gouped it into the hole where the clip goes all the way to where the tab used to be hold it in place with whatever and by morning it should be sweet. How often do you need to take off the A pillar covering? And if you do, it aint that hard you just rip it off, without too much pressure, its not like they are holding up the roof or anything.

okay well since getting my car reupholstered i've noticed that my a pillar on my drivers side had been hanging a bit. Went over a speed bump and it came off. Looked behind and saw the clips had been broken. I talked to the place that reupholstered the them and they said that they broke when they removed it but they can't do anything about it. Is there anyway I can put it back up to make it look tidier again? Tried some temp solutions like blutack but thinking of something maybe like velcro strips on the back of it?

yea I got some double sided foam tape at home that I use to hold my licence plate on

it has survived a years worth of abuse from the weather and me washing it, and haven't had to redo it once, so I'm figuring that it should hold on the a-pillar cover fairly well :)

gonna give it a try this weekend