Sign in to follow this  
m_power

E34 bulb warning light wont go out

1991 E34 535i

The bulb warning light in the instrument cluster will not go out. I have replaced the blown bulb yet it still stays on. If I have my foot on the brake before I start it, it stays out then as soon as I release my foot off the brake it comes back on. I’ve looked on the interweb and apparently when this occurs there is a ground wire that is damaged yet I haven’t found a damaged wire yet.

Cheers,

Beau

There might be another bulb that isn't working... check park lights, indicators, brake lights and fog lights

There might be another bulb that isn't working... check park lights, indicators, brake lights and fog lights

Just checked all the other lights. They are all fine, every light works.

The error message says "Brake LT circuit"

Edited by BBS-RS

Just checked all the other lights. They are all fine, every light works.

The error message says "Brake LT circuit"

Thats a faulty brake light switch... not a bulb... fit a new brake light switch. They have dual curcuit (4 pin) one curcuit is for ABS the other for rear brake light bulbs

Thats a faulty brake light switch... not a bulb... fit a new brake light switch. They have dual curcuit (4 pin) one curcuit is for ABS the other for rear brake light bulbs

Thanks for your help Glenn.

They are located just above the brake pedal aye?

If your brake system is hydro booster with master cylinder on the L/H side, its behind the glove box

If your brake system is hydro booster with master cylinder on the L/H side, its behind the glove box

Cheers,

Just for general knowledge, how come all the brake lights work if the brake light switch is faulty?

Cheers,

Just for general knowledge, how come all the brake lights work if the brake light switch is faulty?

If the switch contacts are corroded / dirty / worn or if the 2 sets of contacts are now switching at the same time, you get this problem.

Replace it with a new one - not 2nd hand - because the 2nd hand might be in the same condition as yours.

Cheap and easy to replace, just do it and stop worrying about why it failled or how it failled.

Remember, it is nearly 20 years old so it lived a good life