Sign in to follow this  
Sudo

BMW Wheels

Sorry i've been asking so many questions, but going from a Nissan know-it-all to a BMW-Newbie is a long step. :bounce:

What offset are E36's? What size studd pattern, I know it's 5 stud, but like 0x0

As far is I'm aware all modern bmw are 5 x 120, the exception being e30, e21 etc. But as we all know E30 m3 are the same as E36. Are the offsets the same between E36, E46, E34 etc, so are all the wheels interchangable? Random thought, what pattern is the X5... Hmmm, 20inch mags :mosh:

Are the offsets the same between E36, E46, E34 etc, so are all the wheels interchangable? Random thought, what pattern is the X5... Hmmm, 20inch mags :mosh:

the offset is differnt - you cant put wheels from a 5 series on a 3 and visa versa, but the 5 series and up apparently have the same offset so in theory you could put wheels off a new 7 onto an e34 etc

I've been told that the wheels on the E36 and E46 are interchangable .. so i would guess they are the same ?

Haha

I only know that 5 stud is 5 nuts... I think :huh:

Can someone please explain what offset and stuff means......

:( I don't know much about the tir side of things ....

This site has a good explanation.

Essentially, you need to have the correct offset for your vehicle or else the wheels may stick out too far, or alternatively rub on the inside of the wheel well. It will also affect the handling of the vehicle. Front wheel drives have different offsets than rear wheel.

whats a rear wheel drive?? :P:P:lol: :mosh:

Ha... I wonder :P

From my understanding.. correct me if i'm wrong (likely :P )Its where the engines power is directed too.... The rear set of wheels or the front.... And theres a little thing called a diff that splits the engine torque two ways.... half to each wheel.. Because one wheel doesn't have to travel as far when it goes round a corner.. And if you just had a axle with no diff... It'd suck put it that way....

And limited slip... its been explained to me.. but i can't remember..... <_<

Nah this is serious aye, i want to be an Engineer when i'm older, so i'm learning as much as i can now, so it saves me time later....

Emma

Oh and G thanks aye... ha your always the one that answers my questions :D

All BMW's are RWD !

And who..... doesn't know that?

X3 and X5 they are 4WD :P

Edited by BMW POWER

And if you just had a axle with no diff... It'd suck put it that way....

um, if the diff had no slip in it (to allow the wheels to spin thier different distances going round a corner) then you would have a locker or a locked diff (or any other name you might no it as - ie mini spool) and they are a hell of a lot of fun!My mates RB20DET powered commodore has a locker and it makes it a hell of a lot of fun - it definitly doesnt suck to get sideways with minimal effort and because the wheels are spinning at even rates, it makes the vehicle easier to control (whilst sliding) - it is, however, a mission to go round corners like in a car park or somthing - it turns heads tho!

I've been told that the wheels on the E36 and E46 are interchangable .. so i would guess they are the same ?

I would have to agree on that, theres an E36 320i lurkin around here somewhere with 19" M3 wheels. and Ali put the 18s(? think they were 18s?) off his E36 onto his E46 so they seem to work both ways.

The way it seems is that the 3 series offsets are the same across the model range, and the rest of the bmw family are interchangeable.

And then you get into the metric wheels - how do those puppies work? I know they are off the older bmws, but how are they essentially differnt to non-metric wheels?

the metric wheels are only different in the tyre sizes.I dont know why but normal e 34 535 came with 15 or 16 inch wheels(mostly 15, 17s were an option)but the sports came with the metric wheels and tyres,and i tell ya those are some of the biggest tyres i have seen.....From wot i have heard the price of metric tyres makes it cheaper to get 4 wheels and normal tyres than four new metrics.......hence the majority of e 34 sports you will see running 17's .

going back to offsets,the e 34 runs a 20 mm offset which is the same as most 6,7,s 8,s. i think.There sometimes a slight difference in the hub diameter,ie the e 34 has a 71.5 mm hub hile the e 39 has a 74.1,even tho the stud pattern(5x120) and offset (20mm) are the same.The definition of offset is the distance the hub face is from the centreline of the wheel.......

Is there any place that sells M/BMW wheels in NZ (preferably north island)?

I've seen heaps of eBay Australia, but i'd rather get them locally.

of course the dealer will sell em but they can be VERY expensive(i was quoted 750 plus gst each for a 17x8 style 10........otherwise a site like this,the bmw cc website or trademe

DTM makes them...fake ones anyway

Posted Image

DTM 122

17x8 (BMW 3 Series)

18x8.5 (BMW 3 Series)

Posted Image

DTM 101

17x8 (BMW 3 and 5 Series)

18x8.5 (BMW 5 Series Only)