Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

E30 Selector Rod & Crank Sensors

Hey guys, so I had my gearbox drilled out for the crank sensors to be fitted as it was a pfl motor and gearbox now putting a facelift gearbox upto the motor. Do the two crank sensors have to go in a certain order or does it not matter which way round they go?

Also the selector rod that goes from the bottom of the gear lever to the selector shaft in the back of the gearbox is too long which in turn makes the gear lever lean all the way forward even when its in like the 2nd, 4th gear position. Are the facelift and prefacelift selector rods diff length?

I might just get the one I have shortened by 10mm as thats all is needed.

Cheers, Luke

Do the two crank sensors have to go in a certain order or does it not matter which way round they go?

I'd hazard a guess as "yes", since one picks up off the ring-gear teeth and the other off the since crank position tooth on the flywheel (and these are different jobs).

Please tell me you have the pfl flywheel...

Don't know on the other question, but I'd guess (again with the guessing) you have a 260 shift cradle and a 240 selector shaft, as I don't think they're the same length.

Edited by CamB

The 260 gearbox is longer than the 240, so the shift rod needs to be shorter. I may have a spare 240 one, will check tonight.

Sorry, The one I have is another 240 one, the longer one.

I'd hazard a guess as "yes", since one picks up off the ring-gear teeth and the other off the since crank position tooth on the flywheel (and these are different jobs).

Please tell me you have the pfl flywheel...

Don't know on the other question, but I'd guess (again with the guessing) you have a 260 shift cradle and a 240 selector shaft, as I don't think they're the same length.

Oh I see, damn so I just have to trial and error to get them the right way round. Have had them in both ways round, one way the car just cranks over but doesnt even ignite and the other way it coughs and spits and wont run. One point here though I lost one of the bolts that holds the sensor in so only one of them was bolted in up tight so that could be the issue. And yes its a Pfl flywheel Cam haha, havnt changed the flywheel over only the gearbox is facelift.

I have the facelift 260 shift cradle, pre-facelift 260 selector shaft and the Z3 short shifter gear lever. Which moving onto Stephen's comment about the gearbox's being different lengths, both gearboxs are 260's with identical gearbox numbers on them... 260.0.1044.90

Would also be interested in shifter shaft lenghts, the DTM shifter is leaning quite far foward but I can live with it.

Oh and yeah man, the ways do make a difference as far as I can remember. I had the plugs the wrong way around and it didn't work. Or it did work and ran like a sack. Either way, you gotta have them right.

E30 selector rods normally come in 2 different lengths, 187mm (pin centre to centre) or 198mm. 187 is what I have seen on most Getrag 260 with aluminium shift arm (aka shift console, that bolts to top of back of gearbox and carries shift lever pivot bearing).