Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Putting in oem alarm.

My car did not come with the oem alarm and i would like to put one in, However i don't think mine is pre-wired for it, Everything i have seen in relation to putting an oem one in mentions the holder in the headliner for the motion sensor but mine has nothing in the headliner at all, Does this mean that mine may not be pre-wired for the alarm, is there anywhere else i could check without having to pull everything apart to find this out.

I do currently have the auto dimming mirror with clown nose for remote locking/unlocking.

Edited by M-Spec

My car did not come with the oem alarm and i would like to put one in,

Surely you'd be better with a modern alarm with a new warranty?

Surely you'd be better with a modern alarm with a new warranty?

Yes i am sure without a dout that a newer modern one would be better, But i wanted to keep everything oem, that way everything is on the key etc, but if its not pre wired then may have to go down the aftermarket route.

tbh Jason I would personally go for an aftermarket alarm. I agree with keeping things OEM but apart from that theres absolutely no other benefits to installing an OEM one.

OEM alarms are hardly that sophisticated compared to modern 5 star alarms. Comparing mine for example, (I realise that E46's are newer therefore may have more equipment or options), It has the standard BMW immobiliser which all have anyway and the only other major option is the interior sensor which was extremely rare in E36.

E46's have interior movement sensor, Bonnet, Boot, door and tilt sensors afaik.

Aftermarket are actually relatively cheap, compared to retrofitting, http://www.rapidradio.co.nz/Product-Catalo...p;ProductId=425 Check that kinda thing out.

And bear in mind insurance companies recognise alarms and a 5 star one can bring down your premium or in some cases you theft excess. I was quotes a 2k theft excess with my standard alarm and then they said if I got a 4 star or higher one fitted that excess would come down to $600. All companies are different though.

I've actually got to replace my alarm soonish due to it being old and unreliable at times. My 2 cents

Insurance usually don't change your premiums for a non certified alarm that hasn't been professionally installed either.

but you probably just want it because you don't have it like I would :D

I have spoken to my insurance company and the standard immobilser on mine is enough as far as they are concerned, Putting a 5 star after market alarm in is not going to make any difference to my premimiums or excess,

antil33t may be right and i just want it in there because i have not got it lol. Its the only thing that i am looking at putting into the car if possible in the way of oem, Other than that there is nothing else that i want to change.

Everything i have seen in relation to putting an oem one in mentions the holder in the headliner for the motion sensor but mine has nothing in the headliner at all,

That isnt the thing you mention in your other thread is it?

No from everything i have seen its a cover in the center of the head lining. Something like this.

Posted Image

Edited by M-Spec

I have done a lot more looking around and i am getting a lot of conflicting stuff. Some say an auto dim mirror with clown nose but does nothing like blink you turn to dim mirror, Ones you cannot turn are auto dim mirrors and are ment to blink and have the alarm, I thought the red nose was for the remote locking unlocking, but then i read this comes from the rear diverse arial. So now i am just confused :wacko:

I have done a lot more looking around and i am getting a lot of conflicting stuff. Some say an auto dim mirror with clown nose but does nothing like blink you turn to dim mirror, Ones you cannot turn are auto dim mirrors and are ment to blink and have the alarm, I thought the red nose was for the remote locking unlocking, but then i read this comes from the rear diverse arial. So now i am just confused :wacko:

The central locking remote control receiver is one of 3 different types:

Infrared (IR): The infrared sensor is the clown nose. The key needs to "see" the sensor to work.

Radio Frequency (RF), 315MHz: The radio receiver is in the antenna tuner, it uses the same rear window antenna as the radio system. No direct view of the antenna is needed for the RF remote to work, ie: works in your pocket

Radio Frequency (RF), 443MHz: Same as the 315MHz system but on a different frequency.

The type of remote control system is dependent on the market that the car was built for:

IR = Japan, older cars pre approx 2001

RF 315MHz = USA and newer Japan

RF 443MHz = Europe, Australia and NZ

To determine if you have an IR system, simply look at your key. Does it have an IR LED sticking out? = IR.

Can it lock/unlock the car when the key is in your pocket (ie: no visibility of IR sensor)? Yes=RF, No=IR.

Thanks for that jochen mine must be ir as it has what looks like an ir trans at the base of the key and only seems to work if you are pointing it at the mirror. Its my understanding if i take the car into the dealers they can code it to flash the indicators and have the clown nose flashing when you lock the car even though there is no alarm on the car. I was thinking of doing this in the interim as a deterrent until i decide what to do. Do you know if this is correct.

Edited by M-Spec

Any advantage to the IR system? RF ones seem to be much easier to use to lock/unlock. IR can sometimes need several attempts to work

Edited by Mike

Any advantage to the IR system? RF ones seem to be much easier to use to lock/unlock. RF can sometimes need several attempts to work

I found that to start out with but today i bought a couple of new energizer batteries and put in my key and it works every time now without fail so far. I would say RF would be a lot easier though as you don't have to point in your mirrors direction, But i am in the brand new e46 learning phase and the technology that goes along with it so am just a noob lol. I only found out today there is a button i can open my boot with next to my bonnet release and i have a compartment under my armrest :lol:

Its my understanding if i take the car into the dealers they can code it to flash the indicators and have the clown nose flashing when you lock the car even though there is no alarm on the car. I was thinking of doing this in the interim as a deterrent until i decide what to do. Do you know if this is correct.

Yes, but subject to age of car and what version of control units are fitted.

Basically, the dealer codes the OEM alarm as fitted.

This means it looks like an alarm is there

But of course, the siren, interior room sensor, tilt sensor are not fitted so the alarm won't do much other than flash lights and the LED

Assuming your mirror has an LED fitted ... not all IR mirrors have the alarm LED in them.

My car did not come with the oem alarm and i would like to put one in, However i don't think mine is pre-wired for it, Everything i have seen in relation to putting an oem one in mentions the holder in the headliner for the motion sensor but mine has nothing in the headliner at all, Does this mean that mine may not be pre-wired for the alarm, is there anywhere else i could check without having to pull everything apart to find this out.

I do currently have the auto dimming mirror with clown nose for remote locking/unlocking.

Mongoose make a "Over the top" alarm, so you still use your factory key remote, then is senses this, and arms and disarms to suit, 5 star systems, they work really well, and are very good quality, i have one in my 740i.

beeps when you push button on key to unlock/lock,