Sign in to follow this  
arros

Dying leather seats

Anybody had any experience dying leather seats: mine are patchy- the colour (creme) has come off in some areas- cleaned it up but still looks bad. What dye should one use, where do you get it. How's it done properly. Does dying work.. or should I stay alive? Any help appreciated

Sounds a bit like my seats. I you find a decent dye or paint let me know. I had a quote from a leather restorer and they wanted $150 to do each front seat, and that would bring them back good as new. I did use some meguiars leather wipes which softened the leather up but the the colour is still cracked.

Shoe polish my friend.

Now seriously, Im not talking about slapping it on like you might have done your old school shoes, but a good quality polish with a decent cloth will do wonders. Only use enough to actually colour the leather that has cracked, dont put so much on that you end up with it rubbing off on your clothes.

Before and after you can try the liquid leather stuff Ive said about before. Have a search on the web cant remember the URL right now, Ive used it as have plenty of mates and it works wonders.

Patience is the key though, if your prepared to spend the time on it you can save yourself plenty of cash.

If money is no object then I can thoroughly recommend European Leathercare in Wellington. They took care of the mould on my interior and the seats are superb.

the dye isnt dye as such its more like thin paint

it works quite well

Your right more of a paint- used a leather cleaner: colour comes off on the cloth so you have to be careful to apply cleaner to and work on a small area at a time otherwise you get patches of discolouration where the cleaner seems to disolve the 'paint'.

Shoe polish my friend.

Now seriously, Im not talking about slapping it on like you might have done your old school shoes, but a good quality polish with a decent cloth will do wonders. Only use enough to actually colour the leather that has cracked, dont put so much on that you end up with it rubbing off on your clothes.

Before and after you can try the liquid leather stuff Ive said about before. Have a search on the web cant remember the URL right now, Ive used it as have plenty of mates and it works wonders.

Patience is the key though, if your prepared to spend the time on it you can save yourself plenty of cash.

If money is no object then I can thoroughly recommend European Leathercare in Wellington. They took care of the mould on my interior and the seats are superb.

Cheers I read your note to Brent (Dec 04)on the recolouration of his e28 535 from blue to black- I will try shoe polish on the cracks if I can find the right colour. I used "Mother's" leather cleaner and yet to use a conditioner (both from Repco)- they give a reasonable result- I've heard of liquidleather.com before- Cheers

fibrenew.com

they are teh shizzle for any type of repairs to leather / plastics etc

just on a side note ...

its costs $2500 to leather all your seats, panels and trim. and thats with the highest qaulity leather your can get too :D

Found out from Brent (Brent HARTGE535i) about some stuff from Repco: VHT Vinyl and Carpet dye. He reckons it works pretty well. I haven't tried it myself-off to Repco soon to get some. Check out Brent's homepage http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/584448/10 of his interior conversion from blue to black (can see seats sprayed black- mibble of webpage) also check http://www.firstfives.org/faq/interior_dye...r_Dying_FAQ.htm. This car is still a project car so no idea of how well this stuff wears/lasts- but looks good. Did you get all this Petone?

Edited by arros