Sign in to follow this  
msian

New Member - Need Help

Hi to everyone.

Well, so I am hell bent in getting myself a beemer and have found a perfect E36 318 1998 model. I am 90% through to buying it but was wondering on maintenance costs. To help me decide.. Could anyone please advice me how much would a second hand engine cost and also a second hand auto gearbox.. Want to have a feel of how much parts would cost.. Have tried checking trademe and marketplace here but I am not exactly very familiar as to what engines can be used and so on.. Guidance will be highly appreciated and will be the deciding factor in me buying my car.

Thanks everyone!

Hi to everyone.

Well, so I am hell bent in getting myself a beemer and have found a perfect E36 318 1998 model. I am 90% through to buying it but was wondering on maintenance costs. To help me decide.. Could anyone please advice me how much would a second hand engine cost and also a second hand auto gearbox.. Want to have a feel of how much parts would cost.. Have tried checking trademe and marketplace here but I am not exactly very familiar as to what engines can be used and so on.. Guidance will be highly appreciated and will be the deciding factor in me buying my car.

Thanks everyone!

Hey mate, first of all Welcome!

Concerning the engine and transmission Give Ray at HELLBM a call, we will be able to tell you the price of replacement engines and gearboxes however it would help if you put in your information where you are from in NZ. I believe the engine in a 1998 318i was the M43B18 but someone else will correct me if I am wrong.

There are loads of E36 318i's out there so I imagine they won't be that expensive,

Heres an example on trademe - Visit My Website

In general you'll find that parts are no more expensive than other equivalent makes-as long as you stay away from the dealers.

We have excellent parts suppliers here on the forum.

Go for it mate-you'll love it (328s more fun tho)

Oh & Welcome

Welcome.

What is your budget in terms of maintenance and purchase price? If you can tell us we can probably advise whether it is the right car for your wallet.