Sign in to follow this  
1N STYL

Dif difs

Kinda

I had a 4.45 diff in may car that made accelerating extremely fast, however, it meant changing the gears constantly and having no eceonomy or top end. Red lined in 5th at 205kph.

I now have a 3.25 (which is a major change) which makes accelerating so god damn slow, but my economy is now 12km per litre. The theoretical top end is now 307kph, but due to the ratio it's bloody hard to accelerate up to that without a massive downhill slope.

I'm about to stick in a 3.64, it should be a good mix between the two. You just need to find the diff that suits your driving style.

The theoretical top end is now 307kph, but due to the ratio it's bloody hard to accelerate up to that without a massive downhill slope.

LMAO ahaha thats funny...and what do u mean "theoretical" don't act like u havn't gone that fast :P

cause my car is Auto will i still have an economy promlem as bad as a maunal...and is all that same for an E36?

And how much can i pick a dif up from a wreckers for?

and can some1 tell me the ratio of a 318 dif please

Edited by 1N STYL

Changing from auto to manual should give you better economy straight up as you're not loosing torque to the auto box's torque converter during acceleration in the lower gears.

The following info is with respect to E30 models, but I assume E36's to be similar:

Not sure on the diff ratios with car models as they're different with the models and countries or origin. My 320iA had a 4.45, Tane's 320iA has a 4.27 (assuming from his rpm@100k), other common auto diffs are 4.11

Manual diffs for 325i and 320i are supposed to be 3.45 as they have different g/box ratios? (was in owners manual). I've seen a 323i come with 3.64 but there's also 3.73, 3.82, and 3.91 ratios available.

The E30 M3 uses a 3.25, the 525ee uses a 2.91. The lowest ratio i've heard of (could be lower) is a 2.82.

Diff's on Trademe can go from $50 to $200 for non-lsd. From a wreckers/$tealers you can expect to pay $300-400.