Sign in to follow this  
Sudo

Seats & WOF

RELAX man. If the above comment is on par with your thoughts on removing your rear seats to add a boom box or gnarly sounds, get a honda. ( no offence *sic, honda civic's and CRX's seem to be physically suited for this )

Don't ruin ya bimmer with silly stuff dude.

If I must, I will look up in my WOF regulations book for you, but I want to know what for first :)

No, what I should of added to my post -

I am not thinking of taking them out, I just meant to ask that in general.

It's bugged me for awhile andn ever got round to finding out.

OK. Pleased to hear :)

Off the top of my head, if there are seats there they must have inertia (S?) seat belts.

If there are seat belts there, they must have seats.

Remove seats and seat belts, you should have no problem getting a WOF.

As far as I am concerned (worked at Honda Cars Wellington - and more recently asked a mechanic frind) you don't need any seats for a warrent or by law. The reason being is there are no safety standards on seats fitted to general road cars in NZ. The only requirement on seats is that if other than the standard factory fitted seats are replaced then you need to have cert or engineers report on mounts. Seat belts are the only requirement according to law as it is illegal to not wear one.

So my answer is NO you don't need seats.

Correct me if I am wrong please as it will be interesting to know for sure myself.

Andrew has no rear seats in his E30. I think he had to get his car classed as a two seater though (which was no big deal).

He may have some more to comment on this.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

As far as I am concerned (worked at Honda Cars Wellington - and more recently asked a mechanic frind) you don't need any seats for a warrent or by law. The reason being is there are no safety standards on seats fitted to general road cars in NZ. The only requirement on seats is that if other than the standard factory fitted seats are replaced then you need to have cert or engineers report on mounts. Seat belts are the only requirement according to law as it is illegal to not wear one.

So my answer is NO you don't need seats.

Correct me if I am wrong please as it will be interesting to know for sure myself.

My issue was the seats I put in didn't allow people into the back - so I ripped out the rear seats and headed to the WOF station and got failed in it, and about 10 other modifications to my car. I had to have the car certed for the seats, changed by the LTSA to a 2 seaters, and then technically weld the seat belt mounts closed so I could go and later put a seat in as it would be dangerous.

I avoided doing the last step and got the WOF.

the difference being andy has after market seats that are non reclinable..so if your in the back its too hard to get out of the car in an emergency...thus you HAD to be a 2 seater or have reclinable front seats.

I can't believe they wanted you weld the seat belt mount holes up. That has got to be the biggest joke out. Did they not relise that if you were to sell the car later that the new owner might want to put a seat back in, then they would need seat belts. What a bunch of f**ken brain dead pricks. How did they get their warrent tickets.

They were right that you needed to re-register the car as a 2 seater seem your backseat passengers would not be able to exit though.

RELAX man. If the above comment is on par with your thoughts on removing your rear seats to add a boom box or gnarly sounds, get a honda. ( no offence *sic, honda civic's and CRX's seem to be physically suited for this )

Don't ruin ya bimmer with silly stuff dude.

If I must, I will look up in my WOF regulations book for you, but I want to know what for first :)

dude, firstly i dont even have back seats, just a 15" and a full roll cage.....

and yes they are excellent dimensions for sounds.

end of the day, hondas are just better at everything...really. B)

Don't ruin ya bimmer with silly stuff

I feel like saying this to the boy racers with the bimmer scraping on the ground, the huge as chromies that don't suit , the booming and the general boy racers thing.

If this sounds like you NO OFFENCE . It is a personal thought that i'm making public. :lol: