Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Leaky E30 Help Me

So I washed my car about 3 weeks ago, has sat in the garage since. Replacing the carpet at the moment and noticed the underside of the back seat is wet, along with the very back of the main piece of carpet ONLY on the right hand side.

Is there anywhere common that it leaks from to pool here? I have had the other end of a E30 leak before but not this end. Thoughts are the rear windscreen seal as the coupe side window seals look like brand new.

Is this just a matter of getting a hose and seeing what leaks?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Nathan

Got a sunroof?

EDIT:haha-read my mind nathan

Edited by 1rotty

^ Haha might try clean them out tmoro see if it improves it.

Anyone got a prefered method?

water on th eback seat is water coming through the forward part of the boot rubber seal when it fills on a slope...... the water goes under the boot carpet and onto the bit the rear seat sits on!

Does on my pre fl anyway. They also have pretty bad rear light seals they are foam like from a wetsuit.

^ Now that you mention it, my light seals are fooked. Can these be replaced?

The boot seal is a mint one, but yes I do have to wash it on a slope with a 90deg gradient driveway haha

Have you had the right rear door card off-could be the moisture seal?

Have you had the right rear door card off-could be the moisture seal?

Have had the door cards off, in fact every piece of the car has been moved, modded or removed overall bar the fuel tank...put that into perspective lol since I got it 10 months ago hahahahaha.

Is the moisture seal the top piece of the door card? Did check behind them and they weren't damp. My money is on those bloody light seals.

Nah-its the whole heavy plastic sheet thats stuck to the inner door with that horrible black sh*t under the card.

If its not sealed it can leak into the car

^ I think you mean the sound deadening on the inside behind the door card? Well thats gone so I will seal that up too along with everything else :wacko: Cheers Mark

just cover it with that stuff you cover school books with. like a sticky clear plastic sheet. just cut it to cover the holes. cheap as chips

Could try leaving newspaper in the boot to see if it gets wet... (to rule the tailights in/out)

The boot seal definitely leaks. the water gets underneath it and over the metal lip that it is attached to.....

I need some advice how to drain/clean out the sunroof drain holes. Anyone? Cheers

Have noticed those half moon shaped trims that go down the boot side of the rear side windows have broken clips, I think water is getting in that way. Looks like I will be pulling the headliner out after all :rolleyes:

Custom headliner anyone?

Oh and Nath, I am going to silcone bond the boot seal to the metal and hope it cancels that out. Would the rear bootlid adjustment affect water getting in? Because I have just had the bootlid repainted and wondered if it would be allowing more water to get in not sitting in the same place.

I reckon the silicone will seal it good. There is no vertical boot adjustment at the hinges, just at the latch which isnt the problem area....

I may go out and silicone mine in a second!

Do you have a ski hple in the rear bulkhead? If so then use a flashlight and a hose to see where the waters getting in.

Hi there, To unblock the drains on a sunroof,( and other places around the house), I use a length of curtain wire, the white plastic covered type used for net curtains. It works just like the plumbers larger model, and you can even can stretch a bit of the bare wireout to make a corkscrew on the end. Put it in your battery drill if its really obstinate. Gerry

^ Awesome thanks for your help Gerry. Will try that along with some compressed air.

Hi there, To unblock the drains on a sunroof,( and other places around the house), I use a length of curtain wire, the white plastic covered type used for net curtains. It works just like the plumbers larger model, and you can even can stretch a bit of the bare wireout to make a corkscrew on the end. Put it in your battery drill if its really obstinate. Gerry

Hi guys were abouts are the sunroof drains located. I have a similar problem and would appreciate the help.

Cheers

in the boot, next to the jack well and battery well. take all the lining out of the boot and you will see a rubber hose running down either side,