Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Half Cage In a Street Driven Car

Hello all

I have been reading an interesting topic on the D1NZ forum regarding a "half cage" being wof legal

This is the topic here

http://forums.d1nz.com/viewtopic.php?t=179...67a41f3dea07985

So far from reading that it seems like a half cage is legal without an LVVTA cert or MSNZ homologation providing it meets the in depth requirements of the WOF manual.

I am not suggesting that I will be going to fir one to my vechicle but I would very much like to hear the thoughts of a member on here with access to the current WOF manual

I am one of the people round here that say " if you are unsure talk to a LVVTA certifier"

but i am interested in the exact rules or requirements of this.

Don't flame or get pissy guys I want this to be a good informative discusson as it helps me out for 2 reasons

I own a 4wd and have nearly rolled it onc.

I also own a 2 door car with a bit of a flexy body that could use the extra stiffness in the rear end subframe and suspension. I do wish to have LVVTA cert for brakes and suspension but building a half cage would be a good project especially if the correct requirements are met and it is fully legal.

Heres a page from the WOF (VIRM).

Looks like as long as its behind the most rearward seating position, all seats have head restraints and you cant hit your head in the bars it should be able to pass a WOF. (Implies it shouldnt need Certing)

LVV7_7_2.pdf

Heres a link to the LVVTA info ( hope it works)

Read through and Im sure youd understand what I mean, but you would be fitting the cage into the "C Zone" of the vehicle, and the only requirement they have is that you should attempt to minimise occupant injury, Page 18- 2.5(1)

LVVTA regulations

Looks like it could be true, Id still talk to a certifier though, for peace of mind

Heres a page from the WOF (VIRM).

Looks like as long as its behind the most rearward seating position, all seats have head restraints and you cant hit your head in the bars it should be able to pass a WOF. (Implies it shouldnt need Certing)

So for it to be any good, you'd have to remove your rear seats and register your car as a 2 seater?

Yep, would have to be a dedicated 2 seater, rear seats and seatbelts removed

Thats not so much a problem for my Factory 2 Seater Short wheel base 300zx

Yep, would have to be a dedicated 2 seater, rear seats and seatbelts removed

Wouldnt it be mega-awkward running a half-cage with back seats anyway? We are talking about big, thick bars across the back of the car!

just something to consider...

The half cage will stiffen the rear end of the car a fair bit, and not the front like a normal cage would.

Someone will confirm this but:

Stiffen the rear and nothing to the front = more over steer....

Good input Heath,

There are 3 diffierent ways I can stiffen the front of the car, triangulated strut tower brace ( one that goes back to the firewall )

Also a lower chassis brace which boolts up to the front castor arms and control arm pickup points.

and of course damper setting, swaybar selection spring rate ect.

Not mega concerned over that as the front is much easier to stiffen than the back

really i need a cert sometime in the foreseeable future regardless but I also have future dreams of having a full cage that complies with necessary requirements.

end of the day its all a pipe dream but usefull information to know where the regs stand on this one.

Seems to be I be best to have a letter from a cert man stating that he belives it not need LVVTA cert and speak with a knowlagable wof man before a welder arcs the steel.