Sign in to follow this  
b mike w

rattle from engine bay

hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me. when accelerating under load (not in neutral) in between the rev range 1500-2000 there is a rattle in the engine bay. it goes away after 2000rpm and doesn't occur when i give it some guts. just wondering if this is anything to be worried about or if it could be a loose spring or bit of metal.

thanks guys

Is it a m10 e30?

hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me. when accelerating under load (not in neutral) in between the rev range 1500-2000 there is a rattle in the engine bay. it goes away after 2000rpm and doesn't occur when i give it some guts. just wondering if this is anything to be worried about or if it could be a loose spring or bit of metal.

thanks guys

From your description, it could be many things. If you can't isolate the fault yourself I would suggest to be on the safe side to get it checked by a professional conversant with BMW's. It may be something minor, then again it may not. What fuel do you use ? are you sure it's not detonation (pinking) ?

From your description, it could be many things. If you can't isolate the fault yourself I would suggest to be on the safe side to get it checked by a professional conversant with BMW's. It may be something minor, then again it may not. What fuel do you use ? are you sure it's not detonation (pinking) ?

I use 95. Its not detonation. I know that sound. Its a tinny sound thats y I thought it might just be a loose spring or something.