Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

Gearbox oil for E39 M5

I'm having an Inspection II done on my car (at an independent garage) in the next couple of weeks and at the same time I want to change the gearbox oil. BMW says its a lifetime fill but I'd still like to change it.

After some google research it seems I need MTF LT-2. Is this available anywhere other than BMW? Is there an equivalent I could buy?

Any help or advice re which oil to use and where to source it will be appreciated.

Guest Simon*

Matt are you having this done by AH? I had them do mine last year too and can't recall what they sourced but am sure it was in spec with the manufacturer's recommended oil.

Guest Simon*

Edit: Yes same gearbox in E34 540is, Euro E39 540i6 and E39 M5. Also in 8 series manuals and the Z8. Getrag S6 420G

I'll hunt back through my receipts but I'm guessing it was just ATF that went in mine if Garry's recommending it.

Edited by Simon*

Depends what gearbox...some take G3 full synthetic...some take LL full sysnthetic we use ELF for both. It should have a label on the pan to determine the correct oil

Guest Simon*

From wiki:

All E39 M5s were equipped with a Getrag Type D six-speed manual transmission which provided the following gearing ratios:

1st gear: 4.23

2nd gear: 2.54

3rd gear: 1.62

4th gear: 1.23

5th gear: 1.00

6th gear: 0.83

It is the same transmission used in the E39 540i, but some changes were made to cope with the extra power the S62 engine produced. A reinforced clutch, rear differential utilising a shorter 3.15:1 ratio, and a limited slip differential with 25% maximum locking.

Mine is the S6S 420G

Posted Image

and lists both the MTF-LT-2 and the ATF Oil

realoem_link

Ooops

Manual....G3 full synthetic or 75w80 full synthetic. You can use either 75w80 is better for high load (thrashing)

Glenn - does the 75W80 make it more notchy when cold?

Glenn - does the 75W80 make it more notchy when cold?

No... I'm using it in mine and quite a few of the series guys are using it too...it must be full synthetic though. I'm using ELF Synthese 75w80

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting that my car and Simon's use the same box. However realoem only gives me the option for the MTF-LT-2 label where his also give the ATF.

Link for my car: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=23&fg=05

So where does that leave me? BMW will sell me 5 litres of MTF-LT-2 for $246 + GST - I only need 2 litres. Or am I safe to get any old 75w80?

I safe to get any old 75w80?

No... use either G3 full synthetic or 75w80 full synthetic. We use ELF Synthese

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting that my car and Simon's use the same box. However realoem only gives me the option for the MTF-LT-2 label where his also give the ATF.

Link for my car: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=23&fg=05

So where does that leave me? BMW will sell me 5 litres of MTF-LT-2 for $246 + GST - I only need 2 litres. Or am I safe to get any old 75w80?

take in your own container and ask for just two litres....

I only need 2 litres.

Where abouts are you situated ? I can do 2 litres