Sign in to follow this  
stephen

maintance

just recenly purhased a 1995 bmw 320i,when the car is running and not in drive the motor makes no noise as soon as you put it into drive or turn the air conditioner on it makes a strange noise down near the transmission area,took the car back to the dealer they had a quick look and said they all make that noise it is the oil in the transmission circulating,I am sure this is not correct,would apprecate any ideas. Thanks Stephen.

It is possible that is the noise, in auto transmissions the oil is circulated by the input shaft, whereas in manuals the oil is circulated by the output shaft. so when you put it into drive the input shaft is circulating the oil. as for the air con, it does put a lot of extra load on the motor so maybe it is justextra engine noise.

Hmmmm, I had a 320i auto, I don't anymore

Hehehe, mu autobox made some strange noises every now and then, sometimes when you put it into drive or any of the other gears it would make an extremely loud squeltching noise...fix was to move lever to and from park rapidly a couple of times.

As for your problem, sounds like oil since that's how the system works, ie, only when in driving gears does it make funny noises. You could replace the oil, it may not be at the correct level and it may not be the correct oil, should be using BMW ATF fluid, red in colour. Drain a little and check to see what comes out. Also, if there's too much or not enough oil that can be detremental to performance.

Cheers