Sign in to follow this  
gouba

In need of a new diff and a little advice

Hi all

i recently picked up a 320 which has been reshelled as a 325. It had a few small issues which are being worked through but one of the problems is the diff was a bit long.

I got under and found out that the previous owner had put a 4.45 small case diff in there (i can figure out the logical reason why) which is from a 318 automatic.

Anyways, I need to find something a bit shorter so I can actually used 1st and second gear for more than ten seconds.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a ratio I should be using? I use the car mainly for day to day driving but I would still like to have a reasonable level of acceleration.

great forum btw, the level of information on this site is awesome.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

youve confused yourself a little there mate, longer is what your after. the diff you have currently got is a short ratio, because its all accel and no top end, a long ratio is lots of top end.

from reading your post i am unsure on weather you put your 2l motor into a 2.5 shell or other way around... if its a 2.0l i would say run something near a 3.9 or a 4.1 if its the 2.5 motor you want something near a 3.64

Ah I typed this too early in the morning and mixed up my words.

It is a 320 body with a 325 running gear transplanted in (obviously bar the rear diff)

So around a 3.64 is what I need, do they come in a small case or are they in a medium case (conscious of the fact ill have to change my driveshaft over as well)

um small and meduim i believe. probably one of the most common ratios so not too expensive either.

you shouldnt need to change your driveshaft or axles to change from small to medium.

My understanding with the medium case is that it was the same width as the smallallowing the axles to remain, but it was a tad longer requiring the change in driveshaft.

*goes off and googles a little more*

no, same driveshaft, there is a slip joint near the center of driveshaft that will take up any difference.

no, same driveshaft, there is a slip joint near the center of driveshaft that will take up any difference.

Awesome, one less thing to buy.

Thanks for your help

normally a e30 325i would use a medium case diff with a 3.64 or 3.73 etc.

i have most diff ratio's .

small and medium