Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

Meyle HD outer ball joints

To anyone who's looked at metal front control arm outer ball joints...

I took the car in to Glenn to get the LCABs replaced recently. Since the front control arms were already out I decided to replace the inner and outer ball joints as well. Already had Lemforder (OEM) units but Glenn suggested to get metal outers which should last longer and give better handling/feel.

I'd read good things about the Meyle HD outer ball joints and was quite lucky to find a new parts business down in Dunedin called MillAnd (run by Paul who is also a forum member) selling them for a reasonable price - they go by the same name 'milland' on TradeMe. The order was very last minute with less than 2 days before the job, but Paul sent them out immediately via overnight courier so they got here ahead of time.

Observations:

They do give better feel, and are not harsh at all, as Jason (M-Spec) has mentioned about his. While we don't know what brand Jason's were, the experience seems to be the same. Ron (3pedals) also has the Meyle on his car and found them to be good. Because I also got the inners and the LCAB replaced at the same time, I can't pinpoint exactly how much it improved the steering - but considering what people have said about these, I would definitely attribute some of the improvement to them.

Well worth considering.

Yup mine were Meyle, I also did the CAB's as well at the same time and replaced them with M3 solid one's. Just a shame i sold the car not long after doing all the work on it.

No, just have to make sure the right tools are used, The guy that did mine had the proper bmw tools for pressing them out and in on his press.

I had coombes johnston in hamilton put them in. I'd hope they would have the right tools haha

They gave me a call saying that i didn't have the right part. They eventually got them in though

I couldn't feel any difference with these installed. But from what i have read they should have a lot more life in them

No problem getting them pressed in - Glenn had the right tool. Yes it's a shame Jason - but I'm sure your new car is worth it!

Yes it's a shame Jason - but I'm sure your new car is worth it!

And then some :wub::D

Hi guys, The beauty of the Meyle ball joints is not only are they an improvement on the genuine , They're also able to be fitted "with out" the use of special tools unlike the originals!

They still need to be pressed in but every workshop will have one of these. Meyle designed them like this on purpose so they could be fitted without the use of special tools