Sign in to follow this  
robert.fowler

740i for sale

Was looking for a 540 but came across this.Had a lot of work done at Botany Motor Works(forum sponsor).Any thoughts on what problems to look for in one of these.

Trademe

The vast electrics of the E38's are usually the problems with them.

A friend of mine had a recent problem with the door close light not going out.

If you're prepared to occasionally have to repair bits then they are a top car.

Though, there is a bit of a difference between a 5 and 7, at least with the 5 they are a good size and sporty at the same time.

With that one in the link, I wouldn't buy it on the grounds its a Hong Kong Import, I would be inclined to get NZ new only, a German/UK import with history or a decent Jap one. Something about Singapore/Hong Kong imports I don't like. Also I think it still has the old engine, 4.0 Non vanos, if you got a 1996+ they have the newer, better 4.4 Vanos motor. I may be wrong though.

Edited by Mike-E36

They're very cool -I'm a big 7 fan- but the 4.0 is gutless compared to the 4.4. & are not a fun car like the 540

Shortcomings applicable to the 5's are much the same for the 7's.

Ring Glenn.

Edited by 1rotty

Thanks guys just the comments i am after as i dont know anything about the big 7

My advise would be to go for a tidy 540i E39 having owned a E34 540i, I loved it, but they are very much a product of the 80's, still great machines if you find a mint one. Though if you think about it this way the E39s have only been out of production for 7 years compared to 15 years for the E34 so in a way E39's are still a fairly modern design. Apparently the chassis was considerably (40% I read) stiffer compared to the E34's and was not changed much when designing the E60 5 series.

Otherwise make another Lexus V8 3 series! What made you sell the one you built in the first place?

We spoke on the phone earlier about it if you recall, still working towards doing the same thing later this year. Currently working on a half cut LS400 engine I got, making up a few supercharger setups which is going well, should have a test setup up running on it next month.

In the mean time I am looking for a good deal of a wreck/tired E36 I can use as the 'template' to make up the engine, gearbox, headers and sump parts.

Anyway sorry to digress.

Edited by Mike-E36

My advise would be to go for a tidy 540i E39 having owned a E34 540i, I loved it, but they are very much a product of the 80's, still great machines if you find a mint one. Though if you think about it this way the E39s have only been out of production for 7 years compared to 15 years for the E34 so in a way E39's are still a fairly modern design. Apparently the chassis was considerably (40% I read) stiffer compared to the E34's and was not changed much when designing the E60 5 series.

Otherwise make another Lexus V8 3 series! What made you sell the one you built in the first place?

We spoke on the phone earlier about it if you recall, still working towards doing the same thing later this year. Currently working on a half cut LS400 engine I got, making up a few supercharger setups which is going well, should have a test setup up running on it next month.

In the mean time I am looking for a good deal of a wreck/tired E36 I can use as the 'template' to make up the engine, gearbox, headers and sump parts.

Anyway sorry to digress.

sweet as love the feedback.sold coupe as became a pain with only two doors and the boot too small,but it was a great car to drive.If i can be of help with info for your conversion just get in touch.

I would still like an E34 just cant get into the E39 shape

sweet as love the feedback.sold coupe as became a pain with only two doors and the boot too small,but it was a great car to drive.If i can be of help with info for your conversion just get in touch.

I would still like an E34 just cant get into the E39 shape

Indeed, they are a bit on the small side thats for sure, mines even more impractical since I have fitted it with a rear roll bar setup in the back! :rolleyes:

I will keep in touch, will have a few queries at a later date I am sure.

Yeah, I agree the E34/E39 styling is extremely different, the whole reason I haven't bought a E39 is since they look too bland/generic where as the E34 was full of character, apparently the build quality, especially interior wise is superior in the E34 to that of the E39 when BMW (like Mercedes) started cutting corners in otherwise basic parts.

This was my E34, got it through Ray (HellBM)

Posted Image

Also here is a little video clip in the cabin.

Sadly I sold it for another V8 Soarer, until getting this BMW for the single reason of putting a 1UZ into it. :)

Edited by Mike-E36

Nice tone, anything to look out for when it comes to e34 maintenance?

sorry to go O.T

Keep hunting for a E34 540i there will be one out there. Do buy a good one though, thats been driven nicely.

2 key areas you'll have to look out for:

Radiator and cooling system bits break.

The dreaded E34 shimmy, this can be wheel alignment, bad tyres, thrust arm bushings or all three! I can't believe how sensitive the front end on a 540i is (extra weight of engine and complex setup).

Expect fuel cons of about 14L around town, 10-11L long trips. But the power under your right foot is awesome! Oh and you'll need to drop it on Billsteins + HR's, it looks better, drives great.

Please stay away from that 740i, if the electrics go bung – you'll be taking her to the tip at that price – plus they're a massive car. Get a 5forty! (PS sold my wife's car this week, gotta be quick off the mark)

Indeed, they are a bit on the small side thats for sure, mines even more impractical since I have fitted it with a rear roll bar setup in the back! :rolleyes:

I will keep in touch, will have a few queries at a later date I am sure.

Yeah, I agree the E34/E39 styling is extremely different, the whole reason I haven't bought a E39 is since they look too bland/generic where as the E34 was full of character, apparently the build quality, especially interior wise is superior in the E34 to that of the E39 when BMW (like Mercedes) started cutting corners in otherwise basic parts.

Posted Image

Sadly I sold it for another V8 Soarer, until getting this BMW for the single reason of putting a 1UZ into it. :)

that sounds good just like my old lexus powered coupe.love the colour of your old 540 havent seen another one like it