Sign in to follow this  
kurtyb

bottom end bearings gone?

my E30 320i has developed a knock in the engine which i suspect is the bottom end bearings? and i was wondering is it worth getting the engine repaired? or would it be a better idea to get a new engine? bare in mind it has done 180xxx kms?

i was thinking of putting a M20B25 in it, and i was wondering if i do that, how much extra work would i need to do other than dropping the engine in?

ANY help would be appreciated!

thanks guys :)

what year is the engine with the stuffed bearings?

what year is the engine with the stuffed bearings?

1991? :)

M20B25 should be an easy as swap then. just bolt, plug, or hose clamp everything in :D

M20B25 should be an easy as swap then. just bolt, plug, or hose clamp everything in :D

nothing else needs changing? YOUVE MADE MY DAY! ahah

now would you know of any one selling a M20B25 engine with decent kmz and good condition?

unfortunately its not the same with an M52B28 aye Andy ;)

On a slightly more serious note: Kurt would probably be best to get it diagnosed properly before you make any big financial commitments to either getting a new engine or whatever the future might hold.

Edited by bmw3

On a slightly more serious note: Kurt would probably be best to get it diagnosed properly before you make any big financial commitments to either getting a new engine or whatever the future might hold.

this is a good point but u kind of really want a 325i lol

i wish it was lmao

+1 though it sounds like money is going to be needed to be spent on this engine, and with a few B25s on here and on TM for around the 500 mark, it makes sence to upgrade.

Someone in the race series might be interested in the B20 for spares as well which further offsets the cost

i wish it was lmao

+1 though it sounds like money is going to be needed to be spent on this engine, and with a few B25s on here and on TM for around the 500 mark, it makes sence to upgrade.

Someone in the race series might be interested in the B20 for spares as well which further offsets the cost

thanks guys for the help!... il do some shopping around

You'll need an M20B25 from a later model car. I've done the swap. it's very easy. Just don't stuff up reinstalling the transmission like I did.

Also would reccomend doing the usual maintinence items whilst the motor is out the car (cambelt, tensioner, waterpump, ect ect)

And you'll want a better diff ratio going from a 320i :)

Edited by antil33t

You'll need an M20B25 from a later model car. I've done the swap. it's very easy. Just don't stuff up reinstalling the transmission like I did.

Also would reccomend doing the usual maintinence items whilst the motor is out the car (cambelt, tensioner, waterpump, ect ect)

And you'll want a better diff ratio going from a 320i :)

yeah i was planning on doing those usual maintenance things.. by later model you mean around 1990/1991?

AND are you saying id need a diff too!?! :(

latemodel=facelift. any post 88 engine will be fine.

re diff, is the car auto or manual as it sits now? fuel economy will decrease assuming the enigne is the only thing you change as it will rev at the same speed as the B20, and has an extra .5L displacement to fill with gas..

you dont NEED it to do the conversion, but its recommended

latemodel=facelift. any post 88 engine will be fine.

re diff, is the car auto or manual as it sits now?

you dont NEED it to do the conversion, but its recommended

phew! lol please forgive me lol im still a young 1 lol

its manual