Sign in to follow this  
beeeamer

E36 interior water leak

with the heavy rain we've had in the last week, i've noticed the carpet in the front passenger footwell is a bit damp. was first getting a bit suss because the car was fogging up inside so easily and started smelling a bit.

it's not coolant, so just water getting in. are there any common known leaks with the E36? mine has a sunroof so i'm going to check out the drain pipes, but wondering if there might be anything else. my sisters MK4 golf had a similar problem due to leaves blocking the drains by the firewall so will check that too.

cheers

Could well be a window seal, maybe around the top of the front window, a previous car of mine had a leak up there and dripped down onto the passenger foot well.

Took a while for me to pin point the leak as it was dripping and gathering on the roof lining then running across to the passenger side, The actual leak was on the right side of the windshield where the seal had lifted.

It would be a good idea to strip your interior and dry out the carpet as the E36s tend to rust if say the carpet was damp for some time, when I stripped my interior there were bits of light surface rust here and there just from general moisture getting under there, I cleaned it up and sprayed it all with Penetrol (clear anti rust film) to prevent any further oxidation.

Water can also get through a damaged or non sealing weather seal cover under the door card if someone has done a window regulator or door lock repair and damaged the weather seal. The water then drips off the bottom of the door card into the carpet. Common on most BMW's. The aircon evaporator tray drain tube can also leak into the floor area if the drain tube is either blocked or not fitted correctly into the tray.

thanks for the info. i think the first thing i'll check is the door card seal, the front doors have had the fabric trim redone at some point due to the usual sagging so the door card would have been removed for that and may have damaged the seal.

i dont think it will be the a/c, just because i never use the a/c and only used it due to the car fogging up so easily from being damp inside, but will check this out too.

i've also found some instructions on how to clear the drain pipes around the firewall so that'll be the next step after the door card

i've also found some instructions on how to clear the drain pipes around the firewall so that'll be the next step after the door card

Check those as well.... I forgot to mention those

Hi, where did u find those instructions to check the pipes? I've been searching the net but i think i mite be using the wrong words.

Just for your info, When i had the door cards done at the front all the white plastic clips that hold the complete panel in place were replaced with new ones, The main weather seal on the drivers side was also replaced.

Another thing i done was the window regulator on drivers side was replaced as well.

Must admit i never experienced any problems with moisture in the cabin at all.

You must have a gotten a really good e36 before you switch to your nice e46. I really wanna do the same but im sticking to my e36 for a another year or so. I don't have any real leaks i think as I checked under the carpets nw and no water but i think its just a few drips that get in as I don't have the condensation seals under the door panel as mine never came with em.... and i think theres a minor gap in the seal on the windscreen cause that condenses first always.