Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

More suspension settings

Hey. Got another few questions for you! I want to make sure everything is 100% taken into consideration till its all set up so few more questions.

one: we all know the difference between the two struts are the tube (vertical) part of it being either 45mm or 51mm. I need to know if there are ANY other differences between them

Particulaily interested in whether the wheels sit any further out in the gaurds between the two (would assume you could tell by measuring the position of the hub in relation to the bottom ball joint?)

two: using M3 cabs, how much further forward to the wheels sit? has anyone actually measured? im sure i would be able to find out the degree increase on the net somewhere (i have done before), but havent seen the change in wheel placment in a straight line forward mentioned anywhere

(e: i should probably say why i ask... im running slightly oversize tyres, and dont want to remove the plastic plates infront of the wheels the plastic brake air ducts go to if it can help it as they are, more than anything, protecting my two air compressors from getting wet, and so ill have to relocate them if they need to be taken off. i doubt they actually have any worthwhile effect to brake cooling)

three: what would you all recommend for toe settings? I know the theory of what toe does to a car, but havent had the chance to play around with it and see what it does in a real life situation. Should i use the factory recommendations for toe despite the change in both caster and camber up front or..?

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I personally would get a professional to setup my suspention for me.... Spose, you need a baseline.

dont know of anyone in welly that knows more about E30 suspension than here. and regardless, more than one persons opinion/experience is always useful, especially as a generic suspension shop may not have the experience of E30 specific setups

they are 205/50R16s. not sure what the recommended tyre is for e30 16", but these touch the guard on et25 rims on suspension travel so i assume its some other size..

ofset cabs should be fine. i have the noltec ones in my racecar with 17s and it doesnt rub... keep recommended toe settings, no point in changing it to anything else, you will only wear tyres quicker, and its not like its a dedicated racecar.

as far as i am aware the struts are the same apart from diameter. imo 205 50s should be fine... or 205 45 if you want a slight stretch look.

also i believe the 205 45 is JUST over the standard rolling diameter. so yeah i guess if you have rubbing probs get the 45s if not just leave it

Edited by DRTE30

will be sweet in terms of the gaurd as ill just run a bit more camber to make sure everything is legit, it wont need much. I guess as far as the plastic ducting goes ill leave it unless cert wants to make a big ho-rah about it. how often are you on full lock anyway.

only using 205/50 because i have them already and not even half worn out

thanks for pointer on toe. couldnt see a need in to run something other than factory in my head, but i thought id check in case my geometrics were right and/or there is a gain to be had somewhere.

dont mean to offend you Oli, but any confirmation/experience/tips from others on toe?

i run 0 toe on my racecar. seems to do the job, you wont really notice the effects of toe untill you start getting into seriouse race stuff like v8 super cars and so on, e30s are too crude for it to make any kind of noticable difference imo. but i have to get another wheel alignment in my racecar now so i might throw in a couple deg of outwards toe and see what happens. the theory is there but i dont see any point in doing so on a road car.

they are 205/50R16s. not sure what the recommended tyre is for e30 16", but these touch the guard on et25 rims on suspension travel so i assume its some other size..

205/50/16 is the closest tyre to OE spec assuming it came with 195/65/14's standard

205/50/16 is the closest tyre to OE spec assuming it came with 195/65/14's standard

cant remember what it had.. that was 5 or 6 sets of wheels+tyres ago ha. i *think* they were 195/60R14s though.

---

edit: in case someone digs this up and/or would like to know, i also found out that the adition of M3 CABs push the wheels around 10-11mm forwards assuming all other factors stay the same

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_