Sign in to follow this  
Parabolica

89 E30 Alarm/Central locking problem

Good Morning,

My E30 has an AVS alarm fitted and has been working fine since I got the car a while back. It has the usual keyless entry button which pops the central locking as expected. However maybe a month ago when I went to open the doors the central locking would not unlock. The alarm turns off as usual and the lights flash as usual but it wont pop the doors. I could put the key into the drivers door and open it manually and that was fine then after driving the car and stopping at my destination the doors would pop open and lock with the remote fine. This would happen maybe 20% of the time getting into my car. Now as of yesterday the doors wont pop open with the remote at all. I can still get in with the key however I cant unlock the other doors from inside and if my partner want to get in the passengers side I have to use the key to turn the passengers door lock just enough to get the door open. Once she is in the door wont open again unless I get out with the key and manually unlock it. As soon as I remove the key again the door locks. It is almost like the central locking is totally dead.

I have checked the fuses and they seem fine and I have also disconnected the battery for a while and reconnected it with no change. Any idea as to what the next step might be? It seems to be a problem that has been getting worse for a while so I think maybe it is an electrical gremlin somewhere but im not very electrically minded when it comes to this newer stuff (for me anyway : P)

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

OK FORGET WHAT I JUST WROTE IN THE NOVEL ABOVE!

Thought I would have a look at the rubber connectors between the door and the pillar on the drivers door. I just wiggled them and hey presto! working fine again. Im going to pull them off and clean them up as maybe the heavy rain we have had lately and that I drove in yesterday has gotten a little condensation inside or something.

:)

Rob