Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Can i just lower the front suspension.

Hey guys, I wanna drop the 36 but really dont like the fact that the rear wheel drops so far into the guard, can i drop the front the 50mm i would like it to be without messing with the rears or can i replace the rears with the same rated springs??

Just not sure on legalities! Cheers

doesn't really matter if you only do the front. only thing that might be out are the headlights.

Legally it should be fine - the only (theoretical) issues are if the spring rates for the lowering springs in front are significantly higher, and/or the roll centre change promotes more weight transfer, then it may promote push or understeer? Not sure if the camber gain would negate this mid corner or not. Also, because of the change in spring, ideally you'd get matching dampers too.

Though, the above may be negligible for road/commuting.

Oh and definitely get an alignment after lowering, your static values will most likely be different post-lowering.

Again, my (possibly not very useful) 2c.

Whilst what 3pedals said is true, I'd be more concerned with the change in spring rate over geometry (assuming you do not lower it excessively.

In summary, the understeer would probably occur on entry, but anytime a lift or the front is not loaded in plane = oversteer.

I'm not entirely convinced this would be all that apparent at road speeds?

You are suggesting 50mm which would be awful in an M3 or similar but given you are talking about a 318?? power induced oversteer is not likely to be an issue.

I wouldnt have thought a 50mm drop would have been that much of an issue, and you are right 318...not alot of B@lls but still can step out in the auto. :o

Whilst what 3pedals said is true, I'd be more concerned with the change in spring rate over geometry (assuming you do not lower it excessively.

How about if i replaced all springs at same rates and just dropped the front 30-50mm, perhaps adjusties might be the way to go(just don't know if i wanna spend that kind of $ with the s50 transplant coming up soon) <_<

If you're going for an S50 transplant......I daresay - buying a M3 might be cheaper :) Already lower, sorted suspension, gearbox, diff, bushes, etc all uprated from factory, get the nice interior too, bigger brakes....all for <$15k. Seen this? Or this?

But if you just want a simple, effective drop, maybe a H&R cup kit, or similar would be the best? Everything already matched.

Or, if you're already going for an S50 - it's a lot heavier, so it'd drop the front anyway (but this isn't really an ideal solution).

:lol: oops, sorry i meant i'm doing a s50 transplant so don't really want to spend the money on adjustables when i'm still looking for a donor car (non e36) otherwise as you said an m3 would be sooo much more sensible...but i'm planning on e28/e30 rebuild!

God i wished i had have taken more notice in physics. cause i'm confused hahaha :huh:

Am planning on doing the project well(hopefuly as nice as hybrids) but still wanna have a nice looking daily as well!

if you preffer looks to handling... asuming this is not going to be a full blown racecar. how about 30 in the rear and 50 in front. or maybe get m3 suspension. a 50mm rake will be awful to drive with, a 20mm rake not so bad.. wont be no race car but it will give you the look without loosing TOO much handling.. but yeah. its all been covered allready so not much to add.

I'm in the process of lowering my car, have only managed to put the front shocks and springs in at the moment, giving me a 30mm drop front and standard rears. Admittedly it's an E32, not an E36, so it won't directly compare (plus I've got less of a drop), but the only thing I have noticed is the steering feels more direct.

I've not hammered it through any corners, due to still needing to sort out some ball joints, but it's more positve and there seems to be little real world issue with the uneven drop and very different spring rates front to rear.

Personally, I'd try it first, then change it if I didn't like it.

although it feels more positive now you will notice it when driving spiritedly or in the wet... maybey not the the severety as above mentioned but it will def b there

although it feels more positive now you will notice it when driving spiritedly or in the wet... maybey not the the severety as above mentioned but it will def b there

Oh I'm sure there will be a difference, just I don't believe either car will suddenly become an evil-handling death machine as a result of the change. Plus if you're aware that there will be a change, you can just either adapt your driving style if/as required, or decide that you're not happy and try something else.