Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

cross-threaded sparkplug.. enlighten me

My mates cross threaded a sparkplug in his corolla (90's hatchback thing) that is having misfiring issues. It ran fine when he started it up after changing them and with the crossthreaded one but after stopping it, adjusting the idle (with the throttle plate closing screw not air/fuel one) it is back to having a severe misfire when on throttle.

I'm thinking the halfway in sparkplug that has been crossthreaded and can't go right in is the problem, so is there any way to fix something like that?

It's going in on the right angle, I tried putting an old plug back in but they all get stuck about half way and the threads are being screwed up.

Motor has 290,000kms on it too. Lol.

Pretty sure you need to drill out the hole, and insert a helicoil.

Wouldn't expect that that would make it misfire though - the plug should still be earthed even if cross threaded, and if there is spark it should still burn? How far from seating properly is it?

At a guess, I would think that inserting a helicoil would be a head off job in case of any debris dropping into the cylinder.

Are you sure that plug is the one that isn't firing?

At idle, if unplug that sparksplug while running it seems to run the same splutery misfire and doesn't change. Only under load will it misfire when driving. So if you rev it in neutral it sounds allright, just misfires at idle and misfires really bad / struggles to accelerate when in gear and trying to move..

It goes it maybe a third to a half of the way in so it's quite far up the sparkplug hole.