Sign in to follow this  
so54i88

E46 Business MD HELP

Hi guys,

Can someone please help me out with this MD to see if this is a NG or an OG? This is out of my 2002 318ti. I've been thinking to add an ipod interface but not sure if this can be done with this. I have looked into both the BMW factory ipod retro kit and DICE. Is the factory kit compatible with my radio? If so, should I go with the factory kit or DICE? What option works better, feature and cost wise? I dont have a CD changer either so the only thing I can listen to is either the radio or 1 MD that I have from years back. Your advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I remember correctly, the round pin main connector is the OG radio.

My DICE plugs into the CD changer in the boot - which to be fair is more difficult to get to than the head unit.... Not sure about the BMW system, but the DICE does the job and is not super expensive.

"53" denotes NG but this unit has OG round terminals

MD should mean it is mini disc

Is your car wired for CD changer?

Is your car wired for CD changer?

I would dare say its pre wired for one, So any of the dice, grom usb units can just plug directly into your existing cables and hey presto no more music worries.

Hi guys,

Can someone please help me out with this MD to see if this is a NG or an OG? This is out of my 2002 318ti. I've been thinking to add an ipod interface but not sure if this can be done with this. I have looked into both the BMW factory ipod retro kit and DICE. Is the factory kit compatible with my radio? If so, should I go with the factory kit or DICE? What option works better, feature and cost wise? I dont have a CD changer either so the only thing I can listen to is either the radio or 1 MD that I have from years back. Your advice is much appreciated.

It's what we call a NG radio with OG backl

The radio is New-Gen with world tuner, but the main connector is still the old gen connector

These were made when the E46 was changing from OG wiring looms to NG looms.

The dual display and softkeys on the front panel can confirm the NG radio beyond any doubt.

Note that this needs a NG antenna tuner

It's what we call a NG radio with OG backl

The radio is New-Gen with world tuner, but the main connector is still the old gen connector

These were made when the E46 was changing from OG wiring looms to NG looms.

The dual display and softkeys on the front panel can confirm the NG radio beyond any doubt.

Note that this needs a NG antenna tuner

Thanks jochen, yes this does have a dual display, it also has the world-wide radio thing (if you know what i mean) that I can change from Japan to NZ freq. So does this mean that the factory ipod kit will work? Is it better than DICE?

hotwire and M-spec: i'm not sure if it's pre-wired, well I hope it is! I'll try to pull the carpet out to see over the weekend.

So would you recommend DICE? I just checked out GROM, it looks promising too. At least it's cheaper.

I have no experience with dice so sorry cannot comment on it, I purchased the grom usb unit and have nothing but praise for it.

If you go into a dealer with your vin number they could give you a build sheet which will say if you are prewired for cd.

692 CD CHANGER i-BUS PREPARATION

I have no experience with dice so sorry cannot comment on it, I purchased the grom usb unit and have nothing but praise for it.

If you go into a dealer with your vin number they could give you a build sheet which will say if you are prewired for cd.

692 CD CHANGER i-BUS PREPARATION

Thanks M-Spec, I asked my local deal and got a build sheet, 692 CD CHANGER i-BUS PREPARATION is in the list so I should be all set to go with GROM. The factory ipod kit is around $500 plus a cost an ipod. I looked at your thread and the GROM kit looks wonderful, I like the idea of just using a USB key. One question though, is the trunk mounting option easier? Well, it looks easier that i dont have to find somewhere to mount it in dash and I dont think I'll ever be using an ipod, a AUX jack is quite useful though considering I have a Sony MP3 player which I can use as well. So are there any other difference between dash and trunk mouning options? When you ordered it. Did you just entered somethig like BMW/318ti/2002? Are all BMW kits the same from GROM? Cheers

Yup they are all the same you just select which install you want, Radio or trunk and also if you want to include an ipod cable as the usb version has ipod interface anyway, That way you get the right cable when you recieve it. I just ordered the unit and selected trunk install.

I received the unit the cable which is just plug and play into the existing plugs in the trunk throw some songs on the usb thumb drive they include (but you can use any thumb drive). You can also select to get a 6ft 3.5mm male to male cable if you want to run a cable from the unit to your external device.

The trunk install is the easiest as its a 30 second install as opposed to having to take stereo out and mounting the unit somewhere in the dash.

Edited by M-Spec

Thanks heaps for this great info! I'm getting one. NOW! Hopefully it doesn't take long to get here. I'm currently replacing the factory speakers got some JBL power series and thought it might be a overkill if the only thing I can listen is the radio. lol

Cheers guys

Cool, They are really easy to deal with and you can track it as it gets to you, was just over a week for mine to arrive. Also after you receive it just keep an eye on their website (under software) as they do updates to the firmware which is so simple to update your device with.

I can't believe it! It arrived!!! That was fast! I ordered on Friday and it's here now. It looks great. I'm going to try installing it tonight. M-Spec, can you shed some light on where I should start when pulling the carpet out of the boot to get access to the CD changer cables? I dont really want to get too carried away dismentling half of the car since I need to drive to tomorrow. :P Thanks...

I can't believe it! It arrived!!! That was fast! I ordered on Friday and it's here now. It looks great. I'm going to try installing it tonight. M-Spec, can you shed some light on where I should start when pulling the carpet out of the boot to get access to the CD changer cables? I dont really want to get too carried away dismentling half of the car since I need to drive to tomorrow. :P Thanks...

E46? remove rear seat back on CD changer side to reveal panel screwas

Remove panel screws, emergency triangle holder, etc to remove side interior trim panel

Then everything is exposed.

The panel screw behind the rear seat squab is the hidden one :-)

The front of the CD shuttle is easy to get to, but the cables at the back are a bit more difficult...

You need to basically remove all of the interior paneling on the left hand side of the boot in order to get to the cables at the rear of the changer. Start by removing the false floor, then the plastic tray at the bottom left hand side (you will probably need to pull the plastic pins out of the plastic cover that sits over the lock) and then gently lever the mounting pins for the panels out with a flat blade screw driver. They designed everything so it fits together and you need to start at one end and work your way in.

Be gentle and thorough - it is easy to miss a pin and wonder why it wont disengage easily... It isn't difficult to do, but might take an hour to pull it all out and re-assemble properly. Will be more difficult in the dark as well.

Jochen is on to it, As you don't have the cd changer the cables will most probably be all wrapped up behind the panel, I was lucky in that all my cables were already out as must have used them for something else. If you follow Jochen instructions you can't go wrong.

Enjoy and post back you thoughts on it.

Ps. Don't forget to follow the instructions that came with it and set out the directory's on your flash drive correctly.

Edited by M-Spec

hey thanks guys......I used a combination of all your methods and managed to get the carpet out and found the cables. Pluged it in, copied the songs according to the instruction. Worked! It was sooooooooo easy. I'm really impressed with it. It sounds great. I finally have something other than the radio and 1 minidisc to listen to! :P

M-Sepc: I watched your Youtube video. I saw that you have the song name displayed on the radio. How did you do that? Mine doesn't seem to display anything apart from the CD and song number like CD1-08. <_< Have I done something wrong?

Dont worry about it M-Spec. It's working now! I think this is that happened. I connected the unit to the stereo and turned the stereo on while the key was out of ignition. It started playing ok but without song name display. Just now, I turned the stereo on, turned the key to ACC then off, then to ACC again and it started displaying song info. Wonderful. Maybe it's like a PC running MS, that you have to re-start everytime when you want it to do do something. :D

Hmmmm, Should just show the name of the song you are playing. Couple of things to look for are do your mp3's have id3 tags which contain the songs name and artist etc.

Also you could try putting a config file on to the root of your flash drive , See here on how to do that.

>>Clicky me<<

i would say try putting x=80

you cannot do any harm or anything playing around with a config file.

lol , ok self fixed then , Some ladys voice should say USB MODE when you turn your car on lol.

yup self-fixed. lol I tried the config file as well so not sure if it was the restart or the config file that made the difference. The only thing I'm not 100% happy about this is that when you want to change the sound setting like bass, fade ect, it keeps fliking back to song names. It's a bit annoying, its like a lousy PC game that test on your reaction time and movement of fingers! lol :D

M-Spec, does yours have a background nosie or whinning nosie? Mine does, seems like some kind of interference. I sent an email to Grom and haven't heard back yet. When i switch to radio or MD it dispears so it must be grom that's creating the noise. <_<

No problem with mine, Although i have read where this was a fault in some of their earlier models, Mine came with a noise suppression thing within the cables (in between the module and where it plugs into the cd cables).

Yes you have to push the buttons a couple to times to navigate, That's just the problem that comes with the age of our head units, Anything after 2003 onwards you don't have that problem.

:huh: ok....i search online and apperently a lot of people had similar problems. GROM just sent them another cable which I think it's the same as yours. I contacted GROM and for the last 2 days, they've been asking single question per email which takes a day to get reply due to the time difference. I wish they can just ask all the qestions at once and get it over and done with. I hope they send me another cable. Also I didn't get a USB stick included in the package either which I mentioned to the tech support as well......I'll wait and see....

Hmmm ok, I never had a single problem with them. I had a small problem when i got mine but it was my own fault for not setting up the included usb stick properly. Their reply was very prompt and sorted out my embarrassing problem straight away.

Thought I'd update on my GROM unit. GROM sent me another cable with a inline supressor that looks like a transformer and a capacitor. I don't understand why they didn't sent me this cable in the first place. Now it costed them 2 cables and free shipping. But it's great! No more whinning nosie. I even think the sound quality is slightly improved.

Just like to thank all you guys for the information on this, especially M-Spec for sorting me out with this great little unit.