Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

HID / Xenon for e36

Anyone got one of those installed? Can you share you experience?

5-series / 7-series owners welcome to share their opinion as well (especially if you have the factory ones.....

Note: Not the blue tinted bulb we are talking here. We are talking about the real deal, either gas-filled filament bulbs or discharge bulbs that need a ballast.

Anyone got one of those installed? Can you share you experience?

5-series / 7-series owners welcome to share their opinion as well (especially if you have the factory ones.....

Note: Not the blue tinted bulb we are talking here. We are talking about the real deal, either gas-filled filament bulbs or discharge bulbs that need a ballast.

I have the factory installed ones in my car ... and they are awesome ...

When i drove my gf's car and it had the normal lights i was like ... is your headlights on ?? If you ever had them, you'd not wanna go back ... haha ..

btw after market HID has been declared illegal as of sunday by LTSA ...

Here is the website regarding HID conversion kits ..

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/vehicle-s...ghts-right.htmlweb

It also speaks of neon kits .. which are still legal sic .. but just need to follow the regulations regarding them ...

Edited by aliluya

High intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits

HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or ‘ballast’ which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads.

However, a complete halogen headlamp unit can be replaced with a complete HID headlamp unit provided that the replacement headlamp unit complies with approved standards. If in doubt, get advice from a vehicle lighting retailer you trust.

Thanks for the link.....

So, a factory fitted ones are fine. That means there's no chance for e36 then.... :angry:

They say "complete replacement headlamp units", how about one of those pre-installed headlamp housing with HID and self-levelling that we can get from overseas??

What happen if you already have one fitted after-market, does that mean you are gonna fail WOF next time round?

Angel eyes look sooooo cool

Ali do you have em?

Sorry random question

Edit: Heres a movie of xenons

Edited by BMW POWER

They say "complete replacement headlamp units", how about one of those pre-installed headlamp housing with HID and self-levelling that we can get from overseas??

I read it as meaning that if you install a set of factory xenons you will have no problems(i know that some e 32 had xenon headlights).Hella for example also have complete kits for retrofitting and i guess that is what you are talking about.If they comply with relevant uk standards (ie rhd) you would have a fair chance here.I imagine they will be pretty expensive tho.Did e 36s have a xenon option??

i think you would fail a warrant if you already have aftermarket HID ... cause people could just install it and try and get away with it at the next wof by saying it's been on there for yonks ..

Yes the only legal way is to change the whole headlight with those self levelling and spray jet thingys .... Factory fitted HID are perfectly fine too ... cause they pass all required regulations etc anyway ..

No i do not have angel eye's .. can't get them for my car .. and i can't change them IF i got them for my car ...

I was sure I've seen some in my blingin hella book. will have a look tomorrow.....

I priced the hella e36 retrofit for angeleyes the other day, not cheap! (2k) but they don't do HID kits for them, I would be jubious of cheap hid kits, you may find that the reason they're hammering them is because they don't follow alot of regulations because of their reflector design and stuff

After reading that LTSA info, it appears my new smoked tails that I bought from gus are now illegal (no tinting is allowed to be applied etc). I might just put the old lenses on the car for warrants as I know my mechanic well, and he is pretty legit. So, if they aren't on there at warrant time, he prob won't notice them on there during the rest of the time.

A bit of a bastard really - I could always risk it, but then if he fails it, he'll always be looking out for me driving with the on, and mate or not, could be a bit of a tricky one...

After reading that LTSA info, it appears my new smoked tails that I bought from gus are now illegal (no tinting is allowed to be applied etc). I might just put the old lenses on the car for warrants as I know my mechanic well, and he is pretty legit. So, if they aren't on there at warrant time, he prob won't notice them on there during the rest of the time.

A bit of a bastard really - I could always risk it, but then if he fails it, he'll always be looking out for me driving with the on, and mate or not, could be a bit of a tricky one...

Dam!! about those smokies

I HATE GOVERNMENT!!!1!!!1111!

Its like boy racers, with the like 50% tints or silver tints, quickly taking them off, driving into the WOF station, passing WOF ,driving round the corner, get the tint roll out, on it goes again

Ha haha ha haha

I think alot of people do that sorta thing..... i got a box in my van, with 6x9s and an amp mounted on the side to power them...... sits behind the back seat, held down by a 1000kg strop....

It doesnt move around, and i'd put money on it that in almost any crash it wouldn't move an inch.... wof testers don't see that, fails a wof, so i take it out before goin...

Now it can be argued that it's part of a load, therefore not a wof point, but alas they still fail it,so it's easier to just whoop it out....

I used to change the exhaust on my mini back in the day before wofs, was fairly loud but I changed it for one of the guys that sometimes checked it, the guy that usually did it loved it - huge mini fan- but yeah, if he couldn't do it i had to change it just for then......

depends on the tester

e36 don't have a factory HID option. But the later ones that have a projector style lens should be ok for HID right? Since they look to be non-dispersing the light everywhere and instead forming a beam.........

I think I might end up getting a gas-charged bulb like the late model Subarus (like the B4 RSKs) to get the look of one without the hassles.

graeme those tails should be fine for warrants......i passed plenty on my old car with em on

e36 don't have a factory HID option. But the later ones that have a projector style lens should be ok for HID right? Since they look to be non-dispersing the light everywhere and instead forming a beam.........

I think I might end up getting a gas-charged bulb like the late model Subarus (like the B4 RSKs) to get the look of one without the hassles.

No .. those head lights still wont be ok for hid !!

graeme those tails should be fine for warrants......i passed plenty on my old car with em on

As for the tail lights ... the law has changed since you owned them ... so it's really hard to say ....

if it were me I'd at least try get a wof with them in, they're not that dark, look sweet IMO... they can only fail ya, probably wont even be bothered

Guest Spargo

If you can argue that the gas cannister within the xenon filament is in the same place as the halegen setup, ie: creating exactly the same beam patttern etc, all you're doing is changing the light intensity.

www.umnitza.com

www.misterjung.com

If you can argue that the gas cannister within the xenon filament is in the same place as the halegen setup, ie: creating exactly the same beam patttern etc, all you're doing is changing the light intensity

exactly the argument for and against right there.....

gas-charged bulb like the late model Subarus (like the B4 RSKs) to get the look

I always thought they were HIDS in the b4s.....

Edited by kiwi535

Subaru B4s are non-HID xenon gas charged bulbs

Currently real-HID is quite un-common (at least on NZ road)

Those that come standard in current models, shortlisted are.......

Honda S2000, BMW 7-series, M5, M3, 6-series, 540+

Audi all RS and S series, all Porsche 911 and Cayanne

Subaru WRX STi, Merc S, SL, E430+, CLK430+, SLR

Corrections and additions welcome~! :D

Subaru B4s are non-HID xenon gas charged bulbs

Currently real-HID is quite un-common (at least on NZ road)

Those that come standard in current models, shortlisted are.......

Honda S2000, BMW 7-series, M5, M3, 6-series, 540+

Audi all RS and S series, all Porsche 911 and Cayanne

Subaru WRX STi, Merc S, SL, E430+, CLK430+, SLR

Corrections and additions welcome~! :D

Basically all the top model cars have them ...

In the bmw all cars can get it optioned tho ... i got it done .. and i had to get optional compulsary spray jets .. hahah ...

I can't understand why BMW make people have the headlamp washer when they have HID. It's not like they clean very well and they spray everywhere. Then you need to spray clean the windscreen after you clean the headlamp. Then you need to clean all the windows when you get home....... pain in the back side

:angry:

I can't understand why BMW make people have the headlamp washer when they have HID. It's not like they clean very well and they spray everywhere. Then you need to spray clean the windscreen after you clean the headlamp. Then you need to clean all the windows when you get home....... pain in the back side

:angry:

Well on the american or NZ ltsa website .. i can't remember which ... it explained that all HID vehicles need to spray jets to get the dust particles off the lense so that light doesn't get refracted/reflected onto on coming vehicles ...

But i still don't get how it's gonna do that and why it's NEEDED !!!

yes its not BMW who make you have it its part of the requirements in europe i think....All HIDs must have washers and be easily adusted ie elecric adjusters.