Sign in to follow this  
bignoselouie

replace E39 540i battery

With the cold weather my original 540i battery is struggling to turn the v8 over. Any advice on who does a cheaper repo model that fits?

Edited by bignoselouie

I put a SuperCharge Gold MF88 in mine 12 months ago - no problems. 3 year warranty on them too.

Yellow pages search came up with 0800 188 122 ring them and ask for dealer in your area.

I put a SuperCharge Gold MF88 in mine 12 months ago - no problems. 3 year warranty on them too.

Yellow pages search came up with 0800 188 122 ring them and ask for dealer in your area.

Cheers I will price one up

battery town deal with hella batteries,dont think they are the cheapest but I just replaced my 6 year old din 66 in my e34 with a din 75.....the 66 woulda been alright if I a) didnt run the battery nearly flat leaving the park lights al day,then left it sitting flat for two months after i stuffed up my achilles tendon.

The cars really spins over on start up now,jst what you want as winter sets in!

66 = 66 amp hour,75= 75 amp hour

battery town deal with hella batteries,dont think they are the cheapest but I just replaced my 6 year old din 66 in my e34 with a din 75.....the 66 woulda been alright if I a) didnt run the battery nearly flat leaving the park lights al day,then left it sitting flat for two months after i stuffed up my achilles tendon.

The cars really spins over on start up now,jst what you want as winter sets in!

66 = 66 amp hour,75= 75 amp hour

Paul - E39's should ideally be specced with D88 (or 92) depending on maunufacturers coding - this what they came with.

You are totally correct though - cheapest is not the best

Paul - E39's should ideally be specced with D88 (or 92) depending on maunufacturers coding - this what they came with.

Indeed, if the vehicle has TV as an option, then the fitted battery is the bigger battery of the two

Reason: the car must be able to sit there with enough power reserve to watch TV for a while, and still have enough grunt afterwards to start the engine.

Don't skimp on too small a battery.

In those worst case situations:

-15 degrees C + Car been sitting unused still for a week + Everything iced up

...you still want to be able to start the motor

(PS: above describes me returning to my car after 1 weeks ski holiday, and very glad that the battery was good and the engine started)

You are totally correct though - cheapest is not the best

thats what i was getting at :) My hella 75 amp hour was about $320 but the engine spins over like crazy and the interior lights are BRIGHT AS BRO

My 2000 E39 528i (with TV) has a DIN 66 and all I can say it is crap. The dodgy heater hedgehog sucking power didn't help matters but (with that fixed) the car has failed to start even after short periods of sitting. As little as 20 minutes will be enough to stop the car cranking.

The Exide battery is less than 2 years old so I'll be off soon to get it replaced under warranty (a bigger one of course).

My 2000 E39 528i (with TV) has a DIN 66 and all I can say it is crap. The dodgy heater hedgehog sucking power didn't help matters but (with that fixed) the car has failed to start even after short periods of sitting. As little as 20 minutes will be enough to stop the car cranking.

The Exide battery is less than 2 years old so I'll be off soon to get it replaced under warranty (a bigger one of course).

Yep - DIN 88 or 92 - same battery but numbering depends on brand.

The DIN 66 should have way more reserve than that though - if nothing else is wrong (& battery is charged) then battery must be crook:-)

The last two E39's I have seen recently for doing navigation conversions have both had NZ fitted DIN 66's - obviously from dealers:-)

Edit - spelling

Edited by hotwire