Sign in to follow this  
Guest numbersixteen16

Carburretor problems

Guest numbersixteen16

1986 Bmw 316

Car has a wierd idle, running very rich, noticed that fuel was dripping out the jet. Have recently fixed a fuel problem that made the car cut out while I was going up a hill.

Car cut out on the way home today, atarted up again and cut out coming into the driveway, so problem is getting worse? Has this happened to anyone before? How did you fix it?

Do I just need a new jet?

Edited by numbersixteen16

Have you set the float levels correctly?

Could also be a split diaphragm.

i would say either the float is full of petrol, the diafram has split or the needle and seat seal for the jet is not sealing...

if your mechanically minded i would suggest a rebuild of the carby.

I had a similar problem on my ute. the carb would drip at idle, and at high speed would backfire non stop. I pulled the carb off, pulled it to bits. cleaned it all out and it help with nothing! probably made it worse.. In the end i just got a replacement for $60 odd. Unless you want to spend $300 or so getting it rebuilt. I suggest getting a replacement with a guarantee and save some hassle.

Or if you want to DIY it and have some peace of mind knowing your carb is mint, Ripco sell rebuild kits but are quite pricey