Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Cleaning out Scuttle/Cowell Drains... (E36 Coupe)

Okay so today I dedicated myself to fix any possible blocks in the drains for some basic maintenance.

Did my sunroof, doors and i think my scuttle/cowell drain. I have read lots of different forum posts all over the internet and noticed that some cars have 3 drains some have 2 while others have 1... from my inspection I could only find 1 noticeable scuttle drain right behind the cylinder heads. Since my car is a 1994 coupe, are there 2 or 3 scuttle drains or just the 1 that i managed to get to..? Really wanna give the others a good clearing if there are more cause the 1 i have cleared so far was disgusting and full of moist crap..

Edited by Brenton

Yea followed those. Found 1 with the rubber drain but when i was feeling around for another i just found a hole that when into the area where the heater core motor was so i am now assuming that thats were the other one was supposed to be? based on the images from that page with the 2 drains i think im just missing the rubber pipe there.

I used a rubber stick to break up the leaves and dried gunk, then used my vacuum. To clear the rubber drain I did what they suggested in the post above with the link. Used a bit of wire and pushed it thru a little first, then pushed it against the side of the rubber to pull it down. Managed to remove a lot of gunk by doing that but took a while to move my hands in the tight spots

Oh and can someone please tell me how to locate the air con drain area cause I noticed today while testing my air on in the garage I left it on for about 5-10 mins running and looked under the car but no puddle.. went away for a while and came back and noticed that underneath the carpet was damper. I think the drain isn't connected or its clogged.

Where about should I be looking to find it ifs clogged? Thanks for the help so far everyone:D