Sign in to follow this  
jager

Hand brake falling apart :(

I went to leave home yesterday and as I let my hand brake down I felt it go funny. I had a look and the hand brake button was stuck in. I pulled the grip off and pulled at the button and it came back out. tested once, worked ok, tested twice and it played up again. The hand brake still works.. it just wont hold.

I came out to the car this morning and the button had shot right out. I removed it and a rod with a hook, a spring and a gromet all came out with it. Is it poked? Or can I refit it? I'm thinking whatever the hook hooks into has probably broken :(

also had my car on the hoist yesterday, There was a few drops of green at the bottom of my radiator. Coolant was a little low, and I havent checked it in over a year (since BMW replaced the radiator) Any way to pressure test it? We didn't have a cap that would fit on where I had it. Also not to keen to stick a whole lot of compressed air down it..

Without pictures I can't tell you whats wrong. They don't normally just fall apart.

The radiator would need to be pressure tested to check where the leak is.

thanks for the reply, here's what came out!

Posted Image

You will have to disconnect the cables and take the handle assembly out. Something else must be broken for it to fall apart or the only other reason would be the handbrake was so far out of adjustment, it overran the toothed plate which locks the handbrake in place, this would allow it to come out like that.

have a handbrake available if you want one

cheers

J & K

ill try fix mine then let you know, cheers

You will have to disconnect the cables and take the handle assembly out. Something else must be broken for it to fall apart or the only other reason would be the handbrake was so far out of adjustment, it overran the toothed plate which locks the handbrake in place, this would allow it to come out like that.

my hand brake was pretty out, but not that bad? Ill rip it all apart over the next week and see what I find, thanks for your help!