Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Where the hell did my CD changer go?

Righto, the 330 finally spat the dummy this morning and I had to replace the battery. It had a pretty good life - it was the original factory one, and had clocked up 10 years of use.

I have 2 gripes:

a ) I had to pay full retail at Supercheap (I have plenty of battery contacts, but nothing to help on a Sunday morning). Grrrr.

b ) More concerningly, now that everything is back up and running, the stereo seems to have lost the CD changer (which is itself connected to a DICE). It was working fine before, but now when I hit the CD button I only get the in-dash CD and it doesn't seem to recognise that there is a CD changer/DICE connected (won't even switch into the correct mode). What gives? And more importantly, how do I fix it?

Edited by elmarco

Sorted.

The DICE unit needed to be reset again.... I had followed the procedure once, but doing it a second time seems to have solved it. For those interested, the reset procedure is (copied from Bimmerfest):

1. Disconnect iPod from cable

2. Remove battery cables, negative first

3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.

4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes

5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.

6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

should have called me could have helped you out with a good battery.

pleased to hear you sorted out your cd system:)

And it also seems to have fixed another electrical gremlin I had - the passenger door lock wasn't always popping up on remote unlocking. Seems to be fine now - good news all around ;)

Shouldn't complain really - 10 years is pretty good for a service item like a battery.

And it also seems to have fixed another electrical gremlin I had - the passenger door lock wasn't always popping up on remote unlocking. Seems to be fine now - good news all around ;)

Shouldn't complain really - 10 years is pretty good for a service item like a battery.

10 years is very good

10 years is very good

Pretty typical with BMW OEM battery - mine was 10 years as well. I have replaced them at up to 14 yrs in some Beemers. OEM are a quality Varta or similar brand.

Wouldn't hold your breath for 10 yrs on the replacement though - asumming you still have the car of course