Sign in to follow this  
vr4muss

WTB e34 535i or 540i

Looking for a tidy e34.

Not sure whether to go for the v8 or the big six. Any advice or thoughts on these cars would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to spend a maximum of 4.5k.

Cheers

Geoff

Whatever the Question, V8 is the answer... Simon* will agree with this

So get the V8 if possible

Welcome to the world of BMW's, enjoy

Haha cheers mate.

Yeah I have been told the same thing by a few people. I have driven a few 535i's since I have been looking and really enjoyed them. They can be picked up really cheap as well which is obviously a bonus.

Might have to check out a 540i to compare.

In terms of reliability, everything I have read about the 535i suggests that the engine and drive train is pretty much bullet proof. Are there any issues that I should look out for? And does this also hold true for the v8?

Im aware of the Nikasil engine issues but figure that any car that has done over 150,000k wont have been affected.

Thanks

Geoff

If you don't mind driving an auto, definitely go the 540i in my opinion. Otherwise go the 535i route.

Mike is right, maintenance can be intensive however there is a decent amount of spares for both engines around.

The nikasil/alusil block issue isn't a problem in NZ as we don't have very high sulphur content in our fuel, unlike the US etc.

Ensure the suspension appears to be in decent knick (unless you don't mind forking out to replace/repair). It is quite common for the thrust arm bushes to go and cause a shimmy at 80-100km.

most things on the e34's are pretty easy to sort . the main problem is the auto trans if it craps out will cost a fair bit to sort or just chuck another used item in .

v8 engines dont give much problem , just make sure on any of these cars that the coolant system is all good and replace any old hoses , thermostats ,viscous fan clutches etc .

dont over heat any of these engines .

m30 535i engines will be due for a new head gasket soonish if not been done already

also check for front lobe camshaft wear due to lack of oiling .

brakes , diffs , axles , driveshafts , hubs etc give very little problem ,

front and rear arm ball joints and bushes all wear out but easy and cheap enough to replace .

most of the interior electrics are pretty good with the odd well known problem which would be easy enough to sort .

535i 5spd is a good way to go for cheaper maintance ,

have a nice 1990 535i b10 alpina replica for sale if interested only done 90,000km but will be a bit more than our budget. but either way they are great cars

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I am still looking if anyone has one for sale?

Cheers

4.5 is a little light for a 535 manual IMHO,where are you located?

Just to clarify it doesn't have to be a manual.

Located in Auckland.

Thanks

i am often wrong

this is for sale in AK

was Brents car he did the engine

Not at reserve yet tho, may be quite far away I think? :rolleyes:

i am often wrong

this is for sale in AK

was Brents car he did the engine

was Brents car he did the engine , clutch , lsd diff, flywheel , new suspension , body kit , hartge head , hc pistons stereo etc etc bla bla bla .

could do with proper ecu remap to suit the engine mods , redye the leather and some more painting etc

Yeah I get that feeling too. :rolleyes: I am going to have a look at it in the weekend so we will see.

Once again, I appreciate the input